Ashley 5660 - E2 - Nothing on startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rgray107918

Jan 8, 2018
Maryland
I am hoping to find some help here. The title says most of it.

The stove is about 7 years old. When I hit the power button, nothing at all happens for about 10 seconds, then it flashes E2.

I found this thread, which was kind of helpful, but there is no resolution in the thread.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pellet-stove-start-cycle.191525/#post-2572349

I ran the test. Here are my results:

1. Results good
2. Results good - lights work
3. Results good - bar graph works
4 - 9. Results good, all lights and buttons test good
10. Results fail. Blower motor does not start up. I tried opening the glass door as well as tightening the latches in case the seal was leaky. The blower would not start under any conditions.
11. I have not bypassed any switches yet, so results inconclusive.
12. Results fail. Igniter did not get hot.
13. Results fail. The auger did not turn. I did mess with the hopper door switch, but I have not checked continuity yet.
14. Results good. Current temp was displayed.

So, does anyone have any shortcuts on where I should look first for this issue? I normally would have done a little troubleshooting like checking continuity or checking for power, but I figured that with all these systems not working at the same time, there may be an overall fault that is causing all systems to not work? At least, that is what I am hoping.

Stove history:
OAK installed
Pot emptied, with light ash vac every 2-4 days depending on use.
Stove and chimney cleaned regularly, twice this year so far. Second time was about 2 months ago (which includes disassembly of inside metal panels and full disassembly of chimney, with full sweep.
*I do use the leaf blower trick after cleaning chimney and stove, as last I read online there were no issues with this. That trick has been used 2-3 times a year, every year.
Exhaust blower fan assy. replaced twice due to squeaking/failing motor
Room blower assy. replaced once due to squeaking/intermittent failure.
Auger motor replaced once.
No seals have ever been replaced.

Does anyone have any tips, or any threads they know of they can throw my way for research on where to look first?

I appreciate any help!!

My stove uses the same devices and boards as yours.

The fact that none of the high power devices will work even under test mode, but the push buttons and display and temperature and diagnostic works, leads me to believe it’s the power handling board with the relay and thyristors. Or some of the wiring to it. Maybe even a burnt trace or a bad fuse on the board. The igniter, auger, and blowers are all powered by that board. #80631

E2 is vacuum error. Which makes sense because the blower won’t run therefore no vacuum is created, and after about 10 seconds it errors out. I bet if you disconnected the exhaust blower and hardwired it to the wall with a lamp cord and connectors, you would go through the startup and after 5-10 minutes get an E4 ignite failure, because no pellets being fed and nothing to ignite them.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgray107918
My stove uses the same devices and boards as yours.

The fact that none of the high power devices will work even under test mode, but the push buttons and display and temperature and diagnostic works, leads me to believe it’s the power handling board with the relay and thyristors. Or some of the wiring to it. Maybe even a burnt trace or a bad fuse on the board. The igniter, auger, and blowers are all powered by that board. #80631

E2 is vacuum error. Which makes sense because the blower won’t run therefore no vacuum is created, and after about 10 seconds it errors out. I bet if you disconnected the exhaust blower and hardwired it to the wall with a lamp cord and connectors, you would go through the startup and after 5-10 minutes get an E4 ignite failure, because no pellets being fed and nothing to ignite them.
Sure enough, I checked the fuse, and F2 was blown. I went through the process of unplugging everything and plugging it back in one by one. Oddly, when plugged back in everything worked! Stove fired up. So, I figured there must have been a short at some time. I dug a little deeper and from wiggling enough wires around I found this:
1663433254849.png

Thanks for the tips on where to look (control board) and finding the blown fuse. I did not know that board was there. I likely would have replaced a lot of parts trying to fix this, without ever realizing it was just a short to ground.

Thanks!!

Reactions: tlc1976