Ashley AP5710 Mini - Overfeed/Overfire Fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr4btTahoe

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2015
Indiana
Hey guys...

After fighting with this mini stove for a month, we finally got it sorted out.

Problem was even on it's lowest setting, it would empty the hopper in 7.5hrs and that's IF it didn't kick off with an over temp error.

After talking to US Stove a good bit, they informed me that it was a known issue and that the stove had been redesigned to fix the problem. The biggest change was the auger motor.

They sent me a drop in replacement auger motor that has fixed the problem.

The original was tagged at 4.1rpm ccw. The new motor, based on specs, is 1 rpm (same motor that many englanders use apparently based on the part number). Anyways... It's now able to maintain a nice low flame on the low setting. See the pics for the difference.

If you have one of these stoves and it blows through pellets, Overfire, etc.. call US Stove and talk to parts. Tell them what you have and tell them that it's a known issue and you need the new style "Merkle-Korff" auger motor. Considering it's a known problem, they should replace it no question.

Anyways... Happy as can be with it so far.. we'll see how long the hopper lasts now.

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_012701604.jpg
    IMG_20190105_012701604.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_20190122_172827330.jpg
    IMG_20190122_172827330.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
Reactions: thshadow
13hrs came and went... still had pellets in the stove but needed to reload before going to work.

Heat output was nice and even... Outside temps were in the 40s last night and it kept the house in the low 70s. The glass still got pretty dirty but I had the damper closed. Will play with that a bit to get the best flame out of it.

Overall, happy with the $500 investment. Should serve it's purpose well.

Hey. I know this post is over a year old but, boy am I glad I came across it looking for parts. Thanks so much Mr4btTahoe! Called US Stove to order this motor. Cost a bit over $100, but I will save that in pellets.

This is my 4th year running this stove in my workshop. Its a short shipping container. With this new motor, It looks like I will cut my pellet use in half. Only problem is, it runs much cooler. A little worried about creosote build up. I have a couple of temprature gauges I mounted in output pipe. One about 3' from the 90° out and one near the end about 6' further. On low it would be about 250° and 200° on the further one. Now on low, the close one runs about 140°. Didn't even look at the further one yet. My plan is to run it a bit hotter every few days or so. Hopefully that may burn off any creosote.

My 2nd year i was fed up with that tiny pellet bin. Added a 10gal bucket to the top with a bracket that has 8 neodymium magnets mounted in it. picture: You can see the close temp gauge in on pic

Attachments

• 20201009_193542_resize_95.jpg
    20201009_193542_resize_95.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 367
  • 20201009_193426_resize_39.jpg
    20201009_193426_resize_39.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 383
Reactions: thshadow
Hey guys...

After fighting with this mini stove for a month, we finally got it sorted out.

Problem was even on it's lowest setting, it would empty the hopper in 7.5hrs and that's IF it didn't kick off with an over temp error.

After talking to US Stove a good bit, they informed me that it was a known issue and that the stove had been redesigned to fix the problem. The biggest change was the auger motor.

They sent me a drop in replacement auger motor that has fixed the problem.

The original was tagged at 4.1rpm ccw. The new motor, based on specs, is 1 rpm (same motor that many englanders use apparently based on the part number). Anyways... It's now able to maintain a nice low flame on the low setting. See the pics for the difference.

If you have one of these stoves and it blows through pellets, Overfire, etc.. call US Stove and talk to parts. Tell them what you have and tell them that it's a known issue and you need the new style "Merkle-Korff" auger motor. Considering it's a known problem, they should replace it no question.

Anyways... Happy as can be with it so far.. we'll see how long the hopper lasts now.
Nice to see there is a fix for this, I have been fighting this problem for 4 yrs

Hey. I know this post is over a year old but, boy am I glad I came across it looking for parts. Thanks so much Mr4btTahoe! Called US Stove to order this motor. Cost a bit over $100, but I will save that in pellets.

This is my 4th year running this stove in my workshop. Its a short shipping container. With this new motor, It looks like I will cut my pellet use in half. Only problem is, it runs much cooler. A little worried about creosote build up. I have a couple of temprature gauges I mounted in output pipe. One about 3' from the 90° out and one near the end about 6' further. On low it would be about 250° and 200° on the further one. Now on low, the close one runs about 140°. Didn't even look at the further one yet. My plan is to run it a bit hotter every few days or so. Hopefully that may burn off any creosote.

My 2nd year i was fed up with that tiny pellet bin. Added a 10gal bucket to the top with a bracket that has 8 neodymium magnets mounted in it. picture: You can see the close temp gauge in on pic
Love your modification to pellet bin I would imagine you bypassed the lid switch? Am I correct??

Reactions: Kookiedo
Love your modification to pellet bin I would imagine you bypassed the lid switch? Am I correct??
LOL, thought someone might appreciate a bucket fix. It's in my workshop so it doesn't have to look pretty or fancy.
Yes, but I put a toggle switch in the back, behind the information panel. That's my door lid switch.
I use that switch when lighting it since the auto igniter failed within a few months. I never bothered even to consider replacing it. Up represents open lid, down is closed on the switch. Up will stop the feed and it will shut down automatically when it cools off. Then dump the box, vac it out, refill the box with pellets, light it with the torch, give it a few minutes, then flick the switch down, and it good to go for a day. (Repeat that daily. Can get away with repeating that in two days with stiring the box and increasing the air a smidge, but I like to keep it clean when I have the time.) It's usually on a 1, sometimes 2, low, unless I'm working in there or it gets really cold. on those settings, the bucket and internal hopper now lasts 2 days before I have to refill it with the new auger motor running. I'm a bit more happy with the unit now. It's not as fussy as it used to be with the bucket and now the slower motor. It is turning out to accumulate more, heavier crud in the pipes because its now running quite a bit cooler. I haven't cleaned out the pipes yet this year. I have peeked several times to see how its doing. I usually had to do a thorough cleaning end of December, beginning of January because it would get choked up. It seems to be running very well so far this year and may not have to do that thorough cleaning until end of season. Will see, but the cleaning may be offset by not burning as much (of my money, lol).
The lid goes back on with magnets during the summer and the bucket sticks to the metal wall out of the way.
I still kind of regret not getting a better model, but I really didn't need anything bigger than that unit. And the price didn't hurt as much. A nicer model would probably have been easier to deal with.

Only in Detroit................ :)