Ashley C60 replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

granitecarver

Jul 22, 2018
Rhode Island
Picked up a lot of free wood down the street. My wife says all I care about is wood and not finishing our master bedroom. Then I tell her about some the posts I see on here and how I am jealous. Now I just need to man up and get the insert for the winter. Went through most of the cherry and have a pile of maple to hit next. I need to gather a few pallets and remove some poison ivy in the area I plan on stacking it (maybe spray it then rip up the roots).
View attachment 227885 View attachment 227886
My wife is the same. Then askes " Don't you have enough wood" One never has enough wood! And of course in the winter all I here is "i'm cold? lol. I'm looking to upgrade from my old reliable Ashley Imperial C60 that i have been running for over 10 yrs to a Ashley WoodChief EPA Certified Wood Circulator AW100E. I can't find any reviews on this stove. Does anyone have any?

Attachments

• 100_3779.JPG
    100_3779.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 284
Moved from the Wood Shed. There are some user comments on the Ashley C60 in the Classics forum here.

In order to suggest an upgrade tell us more about what the goal is, the stove location, how it is currently vented, budget, etc.. All stoves burn best with fully seasoned wood, but modern stoves are more stringent about this requirement. What species wood have you been burning and how long has the wood been seasoned before burning? What length is it cut to?

Reactions: granitecarver
Moved from the Wood Shed. There are some user comments on the Ashley C60 in the Classics forum here.

In order to suggest an upgrade tell us more about what the goal is, the stove location, how it is currently vented, budget, etc.. All stoves burn best with fully seasoned wood, but modern stoves are more stringent about this requirement. What species wood have you been burning and how long has the wood been seasoned before burning? What length is it cut to?

P1010009_2.JPG ashleys.jpg
Stove is vented via 6" pipe. I had to bust though my field stone foundation built in 1948 in the basement. Cut through with a diamond blade on my worm drive saw, dug a 5' hole, laid in a 8" clay flue perpendicular, see picture. Then added an 8" round clay flue to ground level before stating to build the chimney. Yikes! According to the Ashley In instructions you can burn unseasoned wood in this stove! I was surprised to read that. This is my second stove in 12-15 yrs. I only replace it with the same type because I found one like new for under $150. Now one of the side plates apparently is burning out. I burn maple, oak, hicory, etc! I have a friend with 8 aches of land. I take want ever tree is dead or ready to come down. Some is well seasoned some isn't. I cut all wood to 22". I thought why spend the money on fixing this stove when I saw the new to me Ashley Wood Chief Circulator EPA approved lined with fire brick. So I thought about upgrading. Whats your thoughts? PS I also build the forced hot air system attached to it. Works great!

Last edited by a moderator: