Ashley Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E.Merckx

Nov 11, 2019
New England
Hello all, I have my eye on the Ashley Hearth AW2020E-P. It will be in a family room that’s about 25’x12’, pours into the living through a wide space (about a 12’x7’ opening).

Any thoughts on that? I see mixed reviews on Amazon, Home Depot, etc.

Thanks.

I was looking at the Ashley AW1120 for a 500sf office space. Somewhat disconcerting that there aren't many posts/threads on here about Ashley stoves. Definitely a lot cheaper than a Regency F1150, which appears to be unobtainium right now. Read somewhere that an Ashely stove will wear out quicker than other stoves. No idea how that could be the case since this stove does not have a cat. Not really sure how stoves wear out.

After more review and consideration, I pulled the trigger on a Drolet Escape rather than the Ashley, which I learned was the same company as Volgenzang. I’ve had a Drolet insert for the past couple years and am happy with the value some am going with the same brand, just a freestanding instead of the insert I currently have. Drolet is still considered a budget stove I believe but it seems to offer a good trade off between price and performance (i.e. a good value). It is due to be delivered tomorrow so I’m excited. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: EbS-P
US Stove is an acquistion company. They don't make anything. As far as I can tell they have off-shored production of this stove keeping only the Ashely name.

I was looking at the Ashley AW1120 for a 500sf office space. Somewhat disconcerting that there aren't many posts/threads on here about Ashley stoves. Definitely a lot cheaper than a Regency F1150, which appears to be unobtainium right now. Read somewhere that an Ashely stove will wear out quicker than other stoves. No idea how that could be the case since this stove does not have a cat. Not really sure how stoves wear out.
Ashley is sold be us stove company who imports cheap generally Chinese made stoves of varying quality. They can wear out due to poor engineering build quality or material quality.

Reactions: MEngineer24
After more review and consideration, I pulled the trigger on a Drolet Escape rather than the Ashley, which I learned was the same company as Volgenzang. I’ve had a Drolet insert for the past couple years and am happy with the value some am going with the same brand, just a freestanding instead of the insert I currently have. Drolet is still considered a budget stove I believe but it seems to offer a good trade off between price and performance (i.e. a good value). It is due to be delivered tomorrow so I’m excited. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Where did you get the Drolet Escape from? It would most likely work for me. Hate the short burn times on these smaller stoves, but I think that I am going to be stuck with that reality in my 500 sf office space. I'll just have to start it up every morning when I get into the office. Not the end of the world. Filling it up every couple of hours would be a nice break from work anyway. Thing is, there are no Drolet dealers anywhere around me. Can this be ordered online?

Edit to add: I'll assume you are a fellow cycling aficionado based upon your screen name.

Reactions: E.Merckx
Where did you get the Drolet Escape from? It would most likely work for me. Hate the short burn times on these smaller stoves, but I think that I am going to be stuck with that reality in my 500 sf office space. I'll just have to start it up every morning when I get into the office. Not the end of the world. Filling it up every couple of hours would be a nice break from work anyway. Thing is, there are no Drolet dealers anywhere around me. Can this be ordered online?

Edit to add: I'll assume you are a fellow cycling aficionado based upon your screen name.
You could always go with a smaller cat stove that would give you longer burn times

This place

Yep. I was a road cyclist a few years ago before my career took off, and took over. I was a member of the Green Line Velo team out of Boston. Now I have more money but more fat! I used to compete as a cat 3 but stopped about 5 years ago. I loved the pain, agony, and suffering of the sport. Solo rides, group training rides, competitions, recreational/charity rides - I loved it all. Man, I really miss it. You ever watch cycling documentaries? All the ones produced by Jorgen Leth are great.

Anyway, I can’t remember where I got my Drolet Escape insert but it was on line and was delivered. But this freestanding one that just arrived a few days ago I got on a website called Admired Selection. It was a great price, and they gave me 3% off for being a new customer. They said I was lucky because they sold out of that stove fast but just got a shipment of a bunch of new ones. I was skeptical because I never heard of them and I am just suspicious in general with websites I am not familiar with but I did some reasearxh and felt comfortable. They are legit, my stove got here a few days ago. It isn’t installed yet but I’ve had and used the insert version for the past 2 years and it’s been good. Note that you do need well seasoned wood, otherwise you will be disappointed. The firebox is pretty big.

Best of luck and stay safe out in the road.

Yep. I was a road cyclist a few years ago before my career took off, and took over. I was a member of the Green Line Velo team out of Boston. Now I have more money but more fat! I used to compete as a cat 3 but stopped about 5 years ago. I loved the pain, agony, and suffering of the sport. Solo rides, group training rides, competitions, recreational/charity rides - I loved it all. Man, I really miss it. You ever watch cycling documentaries? All the ones produced by Jorgen Leth are great.

Anyway, I can’t remember where I got my Drolet Escape insert but it was on line and was delivered. But this freestanding one that just arrived a few days ago I got on a website called Admired Selection. It was a great price, and they gave me 3% off for being a new customer. They said I was lucky because they sold out of that stove fast but just got a shipment of a bunch of new ones. I was skeptical because I never heard of them and I am just suspicious in general with websites I am not familiar with but I did some reasearxh and felt comfortable. They are legit, my stove got here a few days ago. It isn’t installed yet but I’ve had and used the insert version for the past 2 years and it’s been good. Note that you do need well seasoned wood, otherwise you will be disappointed. The firebox is pretty big.

Best of luck and stay safe out in the road.
I was racing in the 80's during the Lemond era, then went to law school and got fat and slow. Raced against George Hincapie as a junior. He was fast even back then. Started my own practice in 2002, met my wife in 2003, and got back into riding in 2005 and raced again from 2007-2009. Two kids, being involved in a huge wreck in July 2009, and contracting Lyme disease in late August 2009 made me hang it up racing wise. Still try to get out and ride some here and there to keep in shape because this sitting in a chair all day is...................... Wish you were closer to the DC area so we could do some riding.

Let me know how that Drolet Escape works for you. I am still kicking around what stove I want to use for my 500sf office space. Been all over the place with this project. Thought I was settled on the Blaze King Sirocco 20.2 for the 20 hour burn time, but was talked out of it by the people that were going to do the install. Was going to go with a Regency F1500 cat stove for the 8 hour burn time, but then figured I might as well just go with the Regency F1150 non-cat version and fill the stove every 5 hours or so. Then, I came across Ashley and now Drolet. Changed my mind today back to the Blaze King Sirocco 20.2, but still not entirely set on it.

The company that came out and gave me a proposal for the install in my office garage has ghosted me since then. So, it looks like I will be doing my own install come the spring. Just scared to death of the roof pitch, but I am going to order some rope and some hooks for a ladder and get this done. Already have the safety vest from hanging some Ring cameras on the awning of the house on the 2nd level.

Just need to figure out which stove to go with.

I was racing in the 80's during the Lemond era, then went to law school and got fat and slow. Raced against George Hincapie as a junior. He was fast even back then. Started my own practice in 2002, met my wife in 2003, and got back into riding in 2005 and raced again from 2007-2009. Two kids, being involved in a huge wreck in July 2009, and contracting Lyme disease in late August 2009 made me hang it up racing wise. Still try to get out and ride some here and there to keep in shape because this sitting in a chair all day is...................... Wish you were closer to the DC area so we could do some riding.

Let me know how that Drolet Escape works for you. I am still kicking around what stove I want to use for my 500sf office space. Been all over the place with this project. Thought I was settled on the Blaze King Sirocco 20.2 for the 20 hour burn time, but was talked out of it by the people that were going to do the install. Was going to go with a Regency F1500 cat stove for the 8 hour burn time, but then figured I might as well just go with the Regency F1150 non-cat version and fill the stove every 5 hours or so. Then, I came across Ashley and now Drolet. Changed my mind today back to the Blaze King Sirocco 20.2, but still not entirely set on it.

The company that came out and gave me a proposal for the install in my office garage has ghosted me since then. So, it looks like I will be doing my own install come the spring. Just scared to death of the roof pitch, but I am going to order some rope and some hooks for a ladder and get this done. Already have the safety vest from hanging some Ring cameras on the awning of the house on the 2nd level.

Just need to figure out which stove to go with.
That is super cool! I have a Fuji steel frame road bike from 1984 with downtube shifters. It is very fun to ride but my bikes are unfortunately rotting in the basement now. I’m not complaining. I started to source, cut, and split my own wood a couple years ago so that is primarily what I do to keep in shape now. All splitting done with a maul and axe. My kid helps sometimes, and sometimes even brings a friend over to show them his prowess. All the cutting, splitting, and moving the wood around keeps me in ok shape. I burn at least 3 cord a season (closer to 4 or 5 this season) and it will be more once the second stove is in. I don’t know what it’s like in DC but here, none of the wood I have ever bought has been truly seasoned (even though everyone claims that theirs is seasoned, it never is). And I’ve tried many places. A cord around here is now a minimum of $350 delivered so I save a lot doing it myself. In terms of splitting, it never gets any easier, you just split faster LOL.

I’m not doing the install myself and it was hard to find a place to do it because everyone was booked for the season. Even my regular go to place could not come out until sometime in January just for a quote. But I found a good place and they are installing on Dec 31 so I am excited. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Thought I was settled on the Blaze King Sirocco 20.2 for the 20 hour burn time, but was talked out of it by the people that were going to do the install.
What was their concern?

A 20 hr burn time seems prety far fetched to me.
Not in a regulated, pure cat stove. However, that is when the thermostat is set to low which is what it would be a lot of the time for a 500 sq ft area. When pushed for heat, the burntime will drop a lot to more like 6-8 hrs.

A 20 hr burn time seems prety far fetched to me.
The stove is absolutely capable of 20 hrs. The question is whether that will make enough BTUs to heat the house

The stove is absolutely capable of 20 hrs. The question is whether that will make enough BTUs to heat the house
There are two threads entwined here. fabsroman is looking to heat a 500sq ft office space.

There are two threads entwined here. fabsroman is looking to heat a 500sq ft office space.
Yeah at that the space would have to be extremely leaky to need much heat

Yeah at that the space would have to be extremely leaky to need much heat
500 sf office space is in a detached garage and there is a 900 sf upstairs level to the detached garage. Stove would be in the rear of the office space and the stairwell is in the front of the office space. I can see light coming through the rear door to the office, but the front door is pretty solid as far as keeping the cold air out. Too much heat is the issue that the estimator saw. He recommended a Regency F1500 and I was debating a Regency F1150 which appears to be the same stove as the F1500 but without the cat. Also been thinking about a Drolet Escape 1200 or Drolet Deco Nano. Just hate the 5 hour burn time on those stoves, but the price is really attractive.

Pretty much looking for recommendations on a stove that will work for the space with the longest burn time possible. Might just have to go with something small and suffer through 5 hour burn times. Was hoping to find a small cast iron stove, but I haven't been able to find many of them. The Jotul F602 V2 has also come up in conversation. Since the installers have ghosted me ever since I asked about the F1150, it looks like this is going to end up being a spring project for me.

Saw an Ashley stove for sale at Lowes and that is what brought me to this thread.