ashley stove finding a air leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ridgerunner1965

Nov 14, 2022
mo
i have a older ashley wood stove that is in nice condition. inside and out. i really dont think its been used a whole lot.

im having trouble regulating the fire. i have installed new rope gaskets on door and ash door. im very familiar with the process of installing the gaskets and have done it many times on other stoves.

on my previous stove i could litterally put out the fire by shutting off the air flow. not so much with this stove.

so my question is, is there a method to find exactly where the extra air flow in leaking in?

or is this just the nature of this type of stove?

When you have a good, hot fire burning, hold a lit cigarette, an incense stick or a smoke stick near the stove. Move it around, hold it near every seam and every surface. If there’s a leak, the smoke will be drawn in at the location(s).