Ashy smell coming from stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric-holmes

Mar 29, 2014
Arkansas
When I don't have a fire going, I get a real strong ash smell that is almost so bad that you don't want to sit in the chair beside the stove. I understand that a wood stove will smell, but this seems extra strong. I grew up with a wood stove and I don't remember this.

When I don't have a fire going, I get a real strong ash smell that is almost so bad that you don't want to sit in the chair beside the stove. I understand that a wood stove will smell, but this seems extra strong. I grew up with a wood stove and I don't remember this.
Maybe you're getting a downdraft of cold air from your chimney coming out of your air intake.

Close the air intake and/or damper if you can. If not, install an outside air kit.

Does ash have a smell?

I kind of assumed it was a cold down draft. I get that a lot when I go to start fires. I have the damper closed as far as it will go unless there's a trick I don't know. I'll look into the outside air kit.

What are the weather conditions? This is common in damp heavy weather and the smell is creosote coming in with the heavy air. A good cleaning helps and if you can reverse the draft to get it going back up it will solve the problem. Even just burning s candle inside the fire box can help. I do this in the summer at times. Gives the fire glow w/o the heat and reverses the air flow

Status
Not open for further replies.