Asking for help identifying a gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Funk Brother

Aug 31, 2007
Near Dayton Ohio
Hi - my son want to put a gas stove in his living room. We're going to look at one this evening, but the seller says there are no identifying tags. Seems like there must be a model or serial number somewhere. Anyway wondering if someone out there *in the know* about gas stoves could possibly identify it by just a couple of kinda sketchy photos.

This is probably a long, long, longshot. But it sure would be nice to be about to know a little about the stove and it's pros and cons, before we go to see it. Thanks in advance if anybody has any guesses!

1701448535816.png

1701448611402.png

First I want to thank those of you who took a look at the earlier photos, and perhaps scratched their heads. This particular stove does seem to be a bit of an oddball.

Anyway, want to let you know we're making some progress. When my son and I went to look at the stove last night, it turned out there was a tag, but it didn't point to the manufacturer of the finished stove, but rather to the company responsible for just the outer castings.

1701550689041.png

That didn't immediately lead to an identification. But we liked the looks of the stove and decided to take a chance on it for 50 bucks. (Remains to be seen if that was money well spent!)

After we got home, I searched a few old threads in hearth.com and stumbled upon an aol.com address of the former owner of Nu-Tec, Peter Albertsen. With no realistic expectation of ever hearing back, I went ahead and sent a quick email asking if he could help us figure out the brand and model of the stove. Are you ready for this? Within an hour he had written back saying (in part) - "I think you have the original version of this HNG stove". He attached a PDF of a Heat N Glow "Vienna" stove manual.

So the adventure continues. The castings on our stove don't exactly match those shown in the manual, but given Mr. Albertsen's email, I suspect that HNG made essentially the same stove over a period of years, with the castings evolving over time. Does that sound likely to any of you out there?

We have some work to do now just to get a gas line out to the garage where we hope to test the unit. The seller said he tried to get it started but wasn't able to - not sure how much effort he put into it. (Hmm - or what our chances of success are). I've been burning an Avalon Olympic wood stove for 20 years, but honestly know nothing about gas stoves. If anyone out there has advice or experience on this front, or can point to an existing hearth.com thread where the details of troubleshooting a similar stove are hashed out, I'm all ears!

Finally, I want to publicly thank Mr. Peter Albertsen. His company was only involved in the production of the castings, and not the construction of the finished stove. Yet he took the time to write back and try to help. We really appreciate that!

Reactions: Lennox65
I just signed up to the forum to say thank you! I bought the exact same stove used for the exact same price, and you (and Mr. Albertsen's email) were the key to solving the puzzle. I'm not sure if you tracked it down, but just for the sake of all others looking, this is the Heat-N-Glo Townsend II Stove. Owners Manual is attached.

Attachments

• Heat-N-Glo Townsend II.pdf
    721.4 KB · Views: 13