Aspen C3 control noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ADavid

Nov 21, 2022
Virginia
I installed an Aspen C3 last winter and really finished the project in the spring, so this is the first time we've used it consistently. I've noticed you can hear the thermostatic control operating with the temperature and it is fairly quiet in the cooler temps, but as the stove heats up, it makes a popping noise like it's binding up and popping free. Was wondering if any other C3 operators notice the thermostatic controls or not? Haven't opened it up yet to look, but plan to in the next few days.

I installed an Aspen C3 last winter and really finished the project in the spring, so this is the first time we've used it consistently. I've noticed you can hear the thermostatic control operating with the temperature and it is fairly quiet in the cooler temps, but as the stove heats up, it makes a popping noise like it's binding up and popping free. Was wondering if any other C3 operators notice the thermostatic controls or not? Haven't opened it up yet to look, but plan to in the next few days.
Im not sure if the thermostatic control you have in yours is the same as mine (I have the dauntless aka just the less) but I dont hear a thing.
I can't keep the heat anywhere for too long. SO I dont think it actually works. One time I had the stove shut down and it was raging as if I had packed the box full of kindling and 1" space between each piece with the damper open and the air control wide open. I had air shut down all the way and the primary closed. I finally went over and moved the handle back and forth, then slowly clicked it down to the lowest setting over the course of 10 seconds or so,...and suddenly the fire started to calm down significantly. That was on maybe my 8th burn. SO I have very little hope that this thing works, and that experience proved (to me) that those controls are defective and dont actually do anything or worse when they infrequently work they can do the opposite of what you intended. I would call your dealer and if the dealer isnt helpful well, keep pushing because VC is going to blow you off faster than you can say "OH S*** I bought the wrong stove!"

I can hear it on mine.
You can look in the back and check the damper. You can feel it and it moves freely, so it may be the spring, it may be the chain rubbing, or it may just me a hot stove shifting with expansion.

1E6EC3B0-FAC3-4151-BC9A-97D0B5AA8870.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
Something got me thinking about this again. I had started burning with a makeshift flue collar adapter. I noticed some popping as things heated up, and slower popping as they cooled. ( my old steel stove did the same thing ) When you asked, I assumed this may be the case on this particular stove.
Today I replaced the flue adapter with a factory made Duravent adapter that I had ordered. Ran it up to around 500-600, and got the same type of popping, but this time it was a little louder and a different tone. My ears perked right up as it first started and I watched the stove from my rocking chair. I eventually decided it was coming from the new adapter settling, expanding, or pushing against the screws I installed. The original popping had seemed is diminish with use, and I suspect this new sound will too.

Mine makes small popping noises as it heats up but not from the rear of the stove. I don't think I've ever heard anything back there make any noise.

Reactions: 30WCF
I can hear it on mine.
You can look in the back and check the damper. You can feel it and it moves freely, so it may be the spring, it may be the chain rubbing, or it may just me a hot stove shifting with expansion.

View attachment 303444
After some closer observation, it makes the noise most when it is opening the damper back up. My theory is I'm hearing the beads of the chain slipping over the metal. The damper moves freely, thanks for the pic!

It could be metal contraction as well, but seems to be consistent with cooling down.