Assistance Needed for a Quadra-Fire Nova 800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lasakro

Apr 9, 2023
US
My Quadra-Fire Nova 800, 29 years old, has developed this symptom this past heating season. I’m running Green Supreme Northeast coast and see no negative comments in that tread.

The problem is that I start with a clean, empty pot and a flame 4-6 inches tall. 1 day later the pot is ½ full and 2 days later full with a large rolling flame blackening the glass. Almost no ashes around the firepot.

My exhaust runs horizontal 3 feet tee’s for a clean-out and turns vertical 15 ft.

What I’ve done:
1) Stove heat exchanges cleaned using the 2 rods.
2) Exhaust blower chamber vacuumed.
3) Stove pulled away from the wall. Both stove and pipe vacuumed to the tee.
4) Tee cleaned out. Vertical section tapped on to remove any loose debris. Did not cleaned with a chimney brush. If the small amount of soot on the walls are too much the vacuum switch should trip, it’s not.
5) Cleaned the chimney cap.
6) The feed rate paddle was almost closed. I re-adjusted that for a period of time and off setting that with the fire pot air intake plate. Both are about to where I started to again to achieve a 4-6” clean pot flame.

Any thoughts on where I should check next would be greatly appreciated.

I know you have cleaned your stove! your problem sounds like
a lack of combustion air being drawn through the burn pot
some of the causes are a dirty stove that could be anywhere
from the air intake to the exhaust termination.
Leaking door gasket, or any gasket before the combustion fan
Welcome to the forum and good luck

I know you have cleaned your stove! your problem sounds like
a lack of combustion air being drawn through the burn pot
some of the causes are a dirty stove that could be anywhere
from the air intake to the exhaust termination.
Leaking door gasket, or any gasket before the combustion fan
Welcome to the forum and good luck
I'll try a new door gasket next. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm not familiar with your specific stove but it does sound like a combustion airflow problem.

Do you have holes near the bottom of your burnpot? Are they clear?

Great thought. Fire pot holes are all clear.

I tried the single sheet of paper test around the entire door gasket and it easily pulled out. This also makes since why my air plate adjustments on the bottom chamber, under the pot, had little effect. New door gasket ordered and will be here Wednesday. It's original, 29 years old.

Great thought. Fire pot holes are all clear.

I tried the single sheet of paper test around the entire door gasket and it easily pulled out. This also makes since why my air plate adjustments on the bottom chamber, under the pot, had little effect. New door gasket ordered and will be here Wednesday. It's original, 29 years old.
I just got done replacing the door gasket, still curing with blue painters tape holding it in place. Reinstalled the door and gently closed it. I actually has to sightly push it in for the door to latch. The old gasket was so flat that slopped latch was completely closed bringing the door very close to the stove face. I'm sure this was the problem. Tomorrow brings air / fuel adjustment time I'm sure. Thanks for everyone's assistance.