AT 200 - quick installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I just received my AT200, thank you All for the recommendation. I am just looking for a confirmation I am installing it in the proper way. Drill a 1/8 inch hole through both of the DVL piping 18 inches from the top of the stove. Instal probe, screw probe mount into outside wall of the pipe. Any sealant around the probe? Set AH and AL values and away we go! Correct?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Good Day, I just received my AT200, thank you All for the recommendation. I am just looking for a confirmation I am installing it in the proper way. Drill a 1/8 inch hole through both of the DVL piping 18 inches from the top of the stove. Instal probe, screw probe mount into outside wall of the pipe. Any sealant around the probe? Set AH and AL values and away we go! Correct?

Thanks, Dave

I only used one of the two possible screws to mount the probe to the pipe. That screw hole is above the probe hole so that gravity sucks the bottom tight. The screw holes are smaller than 1/8". Use a different bit and just barely set the screw, it's just keeping the probe from falling out.

Just a 1/8" bit for the probe hole. I used 18" above the stove top. The probe must be slightly less than 1/8" since it slides right in. Drill level so that the probe bracket sits flat. Drill this hole on the back and be sure you're not drilling near a seam in the pipe. No sealant needed or wanted.

Set the AH and AL values for BOTH alarms. There is an AH1 and and an AH2 and AL1 and AL2.

Plug the power cord into the outboard banana plug. They're not labeled!

Let us know how it goes.

Highbeam,
I have installed the probe 100% as you described. Perfect. What a difference - flue is hanging between 400-525. I was just about to ask about the alarms. Currently I have just AH1 set at 600 and AL1 set at 575. Just a guess, have to start some place. Was wondering what you think the alarms should be set at to start? Why would I use the AH2 and AL2? My concern mostly is just having a run away when I am away from the stove. Thanks!

I don’t see a need for the second alarm when using this on a stove.

The AL1 is like cocking the hammer and AH1 is like pulling the trigger. I have them 1 degree apart at 1000 for AH1 and 999 for al1. Really, I thought about disabling both by setting them by setting all to zero.

The way it’s set above. Alarm will ring at 1000 and stop as temps fall below 999. I think.

So to put in an Auber, you need to drill two holes? If one we're to quit using the Auber, how would you plug the hole(s), especially in a double walled pipe? (I'm getting tempted to nerd out.)

And would anybody be willing to share an up close picture of their set-up, especially at the pipe?

So to put in an Auber, you need to drill two holes? If one we're to quit using the Auber, how would you plug the hole(s), especially in a double walled pipe? (I'm getting tempted to nerd out.)

And would anybody be willing to share an up close picture of their set-up, especially at the pipe?

Here’s a photo in single wall pipe. I would have drilled just one hole but it would not stay put in single wall. Maybe in double wall you wouldn’t need a screw since it kind of locks in place. My condar probe meter has just one hole.

A 1/8” hole is small. You could plug the hole in the outer wall with a screw.

It’s really cool. Opening the door to stir coals drops flue temps 50 degrees. It then comes back quickly when you close the door. I plan to leave the display on full time.

69$ shipped. Couple pitchers of beer. D0A2BA99-F3C3-4FDB-89A4-304C3082F8F6.jpeg5208C0CE-00D9-4944-ACB2-00B62F9D50D9.jpeg

Reactions: mar13
I was comparing the purchase price of the meter to equivalent beer units. Though I admit that I don’t actually buy pitchers.

Just get one, you will enjoy the accuracy and piece of mind. Here is mine, same as above. Verify your length of the probe wire as there are optional lengths.

IMG_1658.jpg IMG_1659.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
I did mine exactly like the images above. No sealant, the hole is pretty small and the flue has a draft... never seen the slightest bit of smoke. Figure ill just fill it with a stubby screw if it ever needs to go. Have not quite decided where to set the alarms (i am new at this) so ive got my alarms off for the moment.

Now to really geek out... there's no easy way to wirelessly get the auber data on your phone is there? I want to know what the flue temp is doing without getting out of bed :)

I did mine exactly like the images above. No sealant, the hole is pretty small and the flue has a draft... never seen the slightest bit of smoke. Figure ill just fill it with a stubby screw if it ever needs to go. Have not quite decided where to set the alarms (i am new at this) so ive got my alarms off for the moment.

Now to really geek out... there's no easy way to wirelessly get the auber data on your phone is there? I want to know what the flue temp is doing without getting out of bed :)

Moderator @begreen has some information about a wireless version.