Atmospheric Draft Wood boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RM.Rob

Jul 7, 2020
Maine
Hey all,

I have a client looking to do an off-grid type system, so truly minimal electrical usage is the plan, and he wants to burn wood/biomass. All the units I'm familiar with have forced draft fans which take up too much of a power budget. It's a hydronic system so we need a boiler.

Is anyone aware of a simpler wood boiler, indoor or outdoor, that relies on atmospheric draft? We have a chimney available for indoor models.

The "Seton" appears to be such a beast. I'd love any feedback on that unit or any others that likewise depend on a chimney for their draft as opposed to a fan.

Thanks!

Check out DS Machine out of Lancaster PA. They cater to no power or minimal power setups.

Hey all,

I have a client looking to do an off-grid type system, so truly minimal electrical usage is the plan, and he wants to burn wood/biomass. All the units I'm familiar with have forced draft fans which take up too much of a power budget. It's a hydronic system so we need a boiler.

Is anyone aware of a simpler wood boiler, indoor or outdoor, that relies on atmospheric draft? We have a chimney available for indoor models.

The "Seton" appears to be such a beast. I'd love any feedback on that unit or any others that likewise depend on a chimney for their draft as opposed to a fan.

Thanks!

Mentioned above. Varm 40UB. I have had one for 8 years now. Works very well at burning dry cord wood, using very little power & with simple bare controls. The EPA thing kind of screwed things up, they didn't go thru the testing. But may still be able to be sold for other than residential use? Smokeless Heat is the source. They also have a bigger one, the 50UB. Or did, at least.

You need a good tall chimney (I have 30'+/- of insulated stainless), and you also need to have storage tanks with it. I would suggest 1000 gallons. Plumbed & arranged for very good convective flow - I would think extra important for off grid. But the potential is there to do all heating using absolutely no power at times - if you plan & install carefully for it (optimizing for convection flows thoughout the entire system).

Make sure you install the new style ECM circ pumps, they pull a lot less power. Sine you are in Canada the Varm may be an option.

Make sure you install the new style ECM circ pumps, they pull a lot less power. Sine you are in Canada the Varm may be an option.

Sig says Maine?

Sig says Maine?
[/QUOTE

Sorry, My guess is if you are in rural Maien no one will care but if down in southern Maine along the coast keep an ey out for low hour used boiler.

am air furnace will work with convection during a power outage.
for a water system, I would look into DC circulation pumps, maybe automotive coolant sourced?
the Dc circulation pumps would let you use solar to charge the batteries for circulation.

Why not just do a stove so you need no power at all?

Why not just do a stove so you need no power at all?

We know so little about the home being heated. Just “it’s a hydronic system” and is off grid. For sure a woodstove might be way smarter. I can heat 100% of my 1800 sf shop and 1700 sf home with zero power using wood stoves.