Attachable Blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Forgive me guys :red: I should have asked this question when I was at the PE factory last Thursday. Rather than wait till Monday, when I can make a phone call, thought someone on the forum might know the answer to this. My PE (1985) insert has one of those blowers that attach to the front of the unit. I took it off and cleaned it today and noticed it is looking it`s age. Can you tell me if I can get a blower that attaches like the one I have that would be heat activated? I was thinking that rather than wait till this one dies maybe replacing with a newer one. As it is now, we turn the blower off when we go to bed because we know the fire will be out sometime around 5 am and just blowing cold air. No rush for a reply-like I said-I can call on Monday. :) However, if I got some replies this weekend , it would give me some time to make a decision. Thanks

I don't know that stove or blower, but... Most blowers are fairly standard items other than possibly the bracketry attaching it to the stove. If you find the label on the motor, you can probably match it up with something out of Graingers or other electrical supply type place, certainly a decent electric motor shop should be able to.

In terms of having a thermal switch, this can also be added as a retrofit. Some stove shops, and any furnace parts place should have thermal "snap switches" that CLOSE when reaching their trigger temperature (some are adjustable) and it is then just a matter of figuring out how to attach the switch to the stove in some place that will have the right temperature response and wiring it in series with the hot wire to the blower motor.

(This of course assumes that PE doesn't offer a reasonably priced factory method of doing the same thing)

Gooserider

Thanks for the reply Gooserider-I had completely forgot to phone PE today. Don`t think I will bother with the heat sensor to trigger the fan. I can`t get heat up to the other 3 levels without the doorway fan and the 2 ceiling fans running anyway. Just taking a look at the Vista Insert and the blower on the front of that looks very much like the one I have now. We shall see. Going into town on Wednesday so will just check in with the dealer that sells PE and look at how that fan is mounted on the Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.