Attack Boiler w/ 550G open storage install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

3fordasho

Minister of Fire
Jul 20, 2007
South Central Minnesota
Thought I would document my 2nd boiler install here, will add updates as the install progresses.
Back of the boiler plumbing underway, Dirt separator and relief valve on the bottom, Alpha 2 circulator, LK823 return protection upper right.
IMG_1750.JPG

Boiler will replace this Tundra, just not enough horsepower for my 39x60 shop (quonset style buiding), especially when starting with the building at 35-40F.
IMG_1751.JPG

Reactions: brenndatomu
550 Gallon Stainless Steel tote from work for open storage, 100K btu rated heat exchanger next to it. Tote was free because someone at work hooked up a positive displacement transfer pump and did not vent the tote. Pretty impressive to see it suck in like a crushed pop can.
(since been straightened)
IMG_1753.JPG

Reactions: brenndatomu
Cool, will be watching this one.

Your first pic - no iso valves at the boiler openings? Also if the LK823 has those little built in iso valves like the LK810 does, I would pretend like it didn't and put ball valves there too. I had to isolate my 810 to get the circ unstuck once, and tried to use the built in ones. They turned hard as heck and one seeped out the top for a while afterwards.

Cool, will be watching this one.

Your first pic - no iso valves at the boiler openings? Also if the LK823 has those little built in iso valves like the LK810 does, I would pretend like it didn't and put ball valves there too. I had to isolate my 810 to get the circ unstuck once, and tried to use the built in ones. They turned hard as heck and one seeped out the top for a while afterwards.
Good to know the LK valves are marginal :(
On the return I don't like to put a valve in between the boiler and the pressure relief valve, somebody could shut the valve effectively eliminating any pressure relief safety.
The two uppermost valves shown should provide enough isolation, no big deal to drain the boiler to service anything shown in that pic.

Cool project. Is that a Lambda boiler like your other one? I almost bought one last spring, but the whole setup was more $ than I had to spend. Ironically i got a Drolet instead!

Cool project. Is that a Lambda boiler like your other one? I almost bought one last spring, but the whole setup was more $ than I had to spend. Ironically i got a Drolet instead!
Yes, the Lambda version. The Drolet owes me nothing, quite happy with it actually. I am hoping 550 gallons of hot water storage will keep the building above freezing between firings. (still have propane back up so I don't freeze anything)

Reactions: andym
Tank moving time. Capable moving equipment helps a lot for projects like this. Need to drill some pass through holes in the ceiling before I push the tank into final position.

IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG

Reactions: sloeffle
Nice work, nice score on that tank. Don't forget to pipe that relief valve towards the floor.
Only install issue to reconsider is that sign on the wall that says Ford Country... ;)

Finalized storage HX connections, started piping run towards boiler:

Attachments

• IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 149
more progress on the piping runs, fan coil under the steps, need to mate the blower housing up next:

Attachments

• IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1772.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 153
Air flow for the HX- cut off the blower box from a decommissioned propane furnace and mated to the water to air HX. It also provides for a 14x25 filter.

IMG_1776.JPG

Finalized control wiring for the WAHX blower box - basically just a 24vac transformer, relay and thermostat to run the circulator and blower (switch is to go from auto to manual operation of the circulator). In the summer I put the circulators in the manual position and then select "summer" mode on the Alpha 2 circulators - this prevents them from locking up from non-use.

Tundra on its last coals before the swap, and finally the Attack boiler in place leveled and connected to the flue.

IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1781.JPG

Last edited:
Completed piping runs. Boiler and rest of the system is pressurized with compressed air to 17psi for leak checks. 3 or 4 found and sealed so far. Electrical completed at the boiler. The Attack is a 240 v boiler so a 120v to 240v step up transformer is required. (can not use typical 240V 2phase or 2 hot US power, so the transformer is used) The output for the boiler to storage circulator is also 240v so instead of purchasing an odd ball 240v circulator, the output goes to a solid state relay that will switch the desired 120v for the circ.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 165
Flushed and filled the system tonight. I had to remove the thermostatic element in the boiler return protection valve because it prevents flow through the boiler when the water is cold. Flushed for a good 10 minutes and used a filter sock to catch any particles.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 144
Did you catch much?
I'll check later today and post up a pic. Ran out of time last night.
Also need to swap out the solid state relay that controls the alpha 2 circ. The alpha doesn't seem to like the SSR so I will have to switch to a standard relay. On the plus side the system seems to be holding pressure, no leaks as of this morning.

Did you catch much?
Not much of substance inside the filter sock, but lots of small particles. Surprise leak once the system got hot at a sweat fitting, sometimes the flux seals things up when cold and then lets loose once things get hot. Project for tomorrow night.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 149
Pipe and storage tank insulation install:

Attachments

• IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 153
Connecting the overheat protection valve (watts sts-20) to the overheat loop in the boiler and the other side to cold domestic water, drain connection not completed yet. The Watts valve opens if boiler temps hit 97C and floods the overheat loop with cold water - the typical european overheat protection scheme in case of power failure or some other failure causing over temp.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 150