Attack of the killer clinkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estarrio

Nov 15, 2007
Mass / RI
Hi all!

I wish I had lurked here longer before making my purchase, as I'm learning so much after the fact...

I installed my pellet stove (Enviro EF3 free standing) about a week before Thanksgiving. I've been running it 24/7 as my primary heat source. I give the stove a very thorough cleaning every two days...with a max of three days if I can't get to it. I burned some bags from Home Depot to get started and then had 2 tons of Energex delivered from my local dealer.

Aside from burning through the Energex pellets quicker than I'd like, things have been running very well. That is, until last weekend...Despite my efforts to thoroughly clean every nook and cranny, the performance has started to decline. I've noticed a dramatic increase in the formation of clinkers. In fact, they are taking over the burn pot in as little as 24 hours. By day two, the burn pot is overflowing. I've also noticed that the ash around the stove and up in the heat exchangers is darker, with almost an oily property. The burn pot now takes a good twenty minutes to chisel the hard ash masses away...might need a file and an ice pick if this keeps up.

The owner's manual suggests that an overflowing burn pot would be the result of poor cleaning practices or poor quality pellets. Unless I am missing some key detail regarding cleaning, I'm not sure that this could be the case. I'm also confused about the pellets as they started off just fine. I store them in a large, dry closet in the finished side of my basement. I also moved them into the house as soon as they were delivered in their weather resistant covering.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

may have gotten a bad bag and sooted your pipes, check the tee and see how much stuff has accumulated, i generally tap out and brush pipes about twice a ton , but im anal about it, might be time to clean them. and a bad bag or two can really accellerate the buildup. remember "a dirty burn begets an dirtier burn" hope this helps ya

I got 44 tons of energex at the end of last winter and EVERY customer and in every stove we burn they clinkered up and overflowed the burn pot.
the only thing you can do is clean it out every day or so and try different air adjustment.
Im using what is left of the energex in my Enviro Multi fueled Omega now.
Glad it has the self cleaning pot because thees pellets SUCK!

I'm glad you said that about the "Energex". I thought it was just me. My Harman XXV
did not like the "ENERJUNK". Overflowed the burn pot and clinkered up. Has anyone tried the
"LG" softwood pellets? I have tried a few bags and seems good except for lots of fines in
the bags.

cantman said:
Has anyone tried the
"LG" softwood pellets? I have tried a few bags and seems good except for lots of fines in
the bags.

I ran 2 tons of the LG brand through my stove the first
year. The stove ran good with them but yes, I pretty
much had to sift them before dumping into the hopper.

Thanks for the advice all...

I will check the T and see if that alleviates the situation at all...

This will teach me to buy 2 tons without trying a bag or two first.

Aside from buying bags at big box stores, is there a way to get bags of other brands before making a major purchase?

Edit: Also, what exactly are "fines"? Are these the sawdust and runt pieces in the bottom of the bag? If so, I'm getting a considerable amount in the bags that I purchased...would spending more time sifting these out increase the performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.