ATTENTION: All Castle Serenity Pellet Stove owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jake86

Burning Hunk
Oct 8, 2015
Plymouth, Massachusetts
I’m really curious to know if my Castle Serenity pellet stove is the only one in the world (a fluke) that has an extra 3 feet of thermostat wire coiled inside it allowing placement of the thermostat probe away from the hot stove and piping. In the picture below, the white probe wire can be seen running from the rear of my stove to the back wall. I use the ash bucket to shield any radiant heat away from the probe. I believe, if there is one reason people don't use the thermostat mode, it is because the probe is stuck on the back of the stove too close to the heat source making it completely unreliable. That’s unfortunate because I’ve found that using the thermostat mode can be more efficient and provide a more even heating.
ACCORDING TO A PELLET-PRO STOVE REPAIRMAN (fireinthehole?): Castle Serenity PS all have a internal extra coil of wire that allows extension of the thermostat probe away from the stove. (it is not mentioned in the manual though) This allows the thermostat mode to be more accurate an reliable.
Let me know if your Castle Serenity has this extra wire. I've been running my stove the last few years in the thermostat mode. It runs in #1 the vast majority of the time and when needed goes flat out to #5. Kind of a set and forget type thing and keeps the house @ an even and comfortable temperature. Might save a few pellets, as well. That's my experience, anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_122351.jpg
    IMG_20191020_122351.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 233
Both of mine had extra wire inside

Reactions: Jake86
I also have the extra wire, but i did not like the thermostat mode precisely because of what you stated.. is either MAX stall or 1 stall.. in my case because it is in the basement most likely the temp swings would be rather too frequent so it would be switching on and off to MAX . I actually complained in a past thread about this, wishing it was a bit more "intelligent" and to settle itself in the mid stalls if that was able to keep the temperature more constant.

I'll have to look. I've never run mine in any other setting but manual, and dont much intend to. May try weekly someday when I go on a trip or something though.

I'll have to look. I've never run mine in any other setting but manual, and dont much intend to. May try weekly someday when I go on a trip or something though.
I'm told it works best in auto mode in real cold climes. Otherwise, the CS is probably best set on #1 stall and even then it can get too hot. We went down to 18F last night and it spend a lot more time in #5.