ATTIC DUCTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Boy

Dec 3, 2013
Montrose
Hey guys another weird question. Our house is a 2 story with an attic. Should I be covering the 2 vents up there in the winter to keep cold air out or are they supposed to remain open year round? I can see them being open in the summer so cool air flows through there but not winter. Hopefully someone knows?

As long as this is an AC only system it wouldn't hurt to cover them, including the return. Just be sure to uncover them before starting the system when winter is over. Turn the AC breaker off as a reminder.

Are you talking about the attic vents on the gable ends?

Good question. With the word "ducts" in the title I was assuming AC ducts. Attic gable vents are an entirely different animal and stay open.

Last edited:
I've never heard of covering up the gable or soffit vents as you insulation should be contacting the ceiling an isolating your envelope from the air flow.
Purpose of the vents is to help cool in summer (so you don't cook off the roofing), but also to help remove moisture that migrates into the attic with the warm rising air. (as the vapor barrier is more accurately called the vapor retarder someplaces)
Then there is the fact that your roof is all of an R-almostnothing, so what are you really trapping that heat in, if it will radiate out over all that roofing wood?

But we are dry, so I don't know? Never seen anyone do it before, but that means little. If you do it, I'd get a hygrometer in there.

Whats the make/type and depth of the attic insulation? Be the first thing on my list to make R-60 (or close as can with leaving room for the airflow/attic ventilation). Then you'll really care not about 'trapping' heat in the attic.
Also plug up holes/seams to the attic (hatches especially in winter), foamed the edges of my hatches and the drafts almost stopped.

Last edited:
Don't even think about blocking off those gable vents. The outside air may be dry but the moisture rising out of the living space isn't.

Reactions: jaychino415
The only time you should block the gable vents is if you later install a ridge vent. Some roofers insist on this or will void their warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.