Attic Insulation Shield Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hizelks

Nov 21, 2016
Rogers, MN
Curious how to go about using my Supervent attic insulation shield correctly in an awkward ceiling install. My Class A goes through a garage roof and then about 8" higher goes through my house roof. I had planned on building off the garage rafter framing where the shield would be nice and level and extend up into the attic space.

Hard to explain so I will attach photos. In the roof photo the chimney will come out in the 2nd joist space to the right of the unused chimney. The other photos are looking up from inside the basement. The hole is where the shield could go along with a string line.

Thanks

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 147
Man, that's a tough one...
First off, it doesn't look like you will get the proper clearance to your pipe where that hole is currently. Remember you need only 2" to the chimney pipe, but at least 6" to your connector pipe if you use double wall. 18" for singlewall.
I don't think you will have room for an insulation shield. The super-vent cathedral ceiling support is 18" tall, it does well to keep insulation back. It can be trimmed to match the pitch of the roof too. Also, multiple boxes can be used because the pipe passes through the box. So you may be able to use 2 support boxes trimmed to fit their space rather than a support box and an insulation shield than is not trimmable.

Sorry, I knew I'd forget to mention something. The pictures are from inside the garage where it will all be Class A pipe. The stove comes from the basement and out the wall into the garage. So I will have a few support brackets going up the wall. Being such a short distance between the two roofs makes me wonder if I should just cut away a squared area of the garage roof. The fascia and soffit of the house roof enclose that area as it is.

Sorry, I knew I'd forget to mention something. The pictures are from inside the garage where it will all be Class A pipe. The stove comes from the basement and out the wall into the garage. So I will have a few support brackets going up the wall. Being such a short distance between the two roofs makes me wonder if I should just cut away a squared area of the garage roof. The fascia and soffit of the house roof enclose that area as it is.
It would be best if you could make a chase through those two rooflines. Make sure it's 12" minimum on the inside.

Do you think I could just make one that goes from the garage roof up to the house roof? Is there an advantage to going up higher?

I saw a video on youtube where the installer didn't have enough room for the shield so he just framed out an area and put plywood over the area so the insulation couldn't get in. Think this is what I should do?

Do you think I could just make one that goes from the garage roof up to the house roof? Is there an advantage to going up higher?

I saw a video on youtube where the installer didn't have enough room for the shield so he just framed out an area and put plywood over the area so the insulation couldn't get in. Think this is what I should do?
That's what I would do.