Attic insulation shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dwebb11b

Apr 2, 2022
Southern il
Double checking everything before i start cutting holes discovered the attic space is to short for the insulation shield. Is it safe to have the ais sticking above the roof line or should i just build the 2" spaced box in the attic. Its a selkirk ais with a collared top.

If it projects out of the roof, it must be trimmed flush before putting on the flashing. Vacuum out any debris in the ceiling support before the flashing too.

A solution can be to use a square cathedral ceiling support box and let it project out of the roof for fitting, mark the roof pitch, then trim.

Thats clever. I'll cut my current shield. It has a 1" air gap between inner and outer and 10" inner. Any particular reason it shouldn't stick above roof line? I couldnt find anything in the instructions or nfpa codes

Thats clever. I'll cut my current shield. It has a 1" air gap between inner and outer and 10" inner. Any particular reason it shouldn't stick above roof line? I couldnt find anything in the instructions or nfpa codes
Weather sealing. That's the point of the flashing and storm collar.