Attic sealing and insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
roxul mice hate it
The mice at my place seem to love it.
They use it to make nests in my toolbox drawers.

I got a couple other quotes. One was $12k and the most recent from a good contractor was $7k, half of the first one! Well worth it to get a few quotes! Actual sq footage in attic is 1512 sq ft Quote includes air sealing, leaving the 8" of fiberglass, removing 648 sq ft of plywood floor, adding 8-10" of cellulose, and adding a seal to the pull down attic door.

Reactions: yooperdave
What is he doing for air sealing? I’d ask all of your quotes exactly what they plan on doing. Different people have different interpretations of the term/job.

I got a couple other quotes. One was $12k and the most recent from a good contractor was $7k, half of the first one! Well worth it to get a few quotes! Actual sq footage in attic is 1512 sq ft Quote includes air sealing, leaving the 8" of fiberglass, removing 648 sq ft of plywood floor, adding 8-10" of cellulose, and adding a seal to the pull down attic door.
Why remove the plywood?

So you can get insulation under if easier. The contractor might not be able to get hoses under the plywood or there may be bracing stoping hoses from being pushed all the way under it.