Attn: Lopi AGP owner or past owner (or Harman P43 operators)....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaRaevn

Sep 2, 2015
Washington State
Posting this question for my parents. They have an 1800 sq. ft home and have been heating it with a Mount Vernon AE for the past ten years. They are considering a change because getting older, they need something easier to maintain. Dad has his eye on a Lopi AGP stove. Question is, will that sufficiently heat their home? 1992 Modular well insulated and good windows. The MV definitely heated the home as it is 53k btu max. Lopi claims it can heat up to 2000 sq. ft. with only 41,000 btu max.

Any Lopi owners out there, heating a similar home, exclusively with their AGP? Are you satisfied with the heat output during your coldest period?

How big is your home? What is you average temp setting? Are you satisfied with the heat output or do you feel the Lopi AGP is struggling to meet your needs?

Perhaps similar to this would be the P43 Harman? Are any Harman P43 owners heating a similar home with or without success?

There are many P43 owners here heating that many SQ FT with them and even larger homes than 1,800 SQ FT. Results vary as each home and situation is different but the P43would heat without issues IMO.

My p43 heats my 1000 square foot home to 70-74. My insulation isn't bad and I have new windows. If your home has an open floor plan like mine, a p43 could possibly do it, but I would want the extra btu of a p61.

Lopi AGP , Heated mine all last year , one floor , 1400 sq. ft. , ceiling fans moving the air full tiime , . Used 1 bag a day to keep it about 65 /75 F , depending on the day, .Middle of Jan all through the chiilly time in Feb, -10 /-25 F it went up to 2 bags basically a day into March , All together , 4 Tons between Nov 1 to May ....Kept the crawl space @ 35 F on the coldest days . No problems , but have to light clean it on average every 3-4 days and good thorough cleaning once a month . Burned almost exclusively Energex Regular and the golden supremes during the cold weather.,We're in Upper St. Lawrence Cty ,NY about 5 miles from Can . A good stove but have to keep up on the cleaning ...

Lopi AGP , Heated mine all last year , one floor , 1400 sq. ft. , ceiling fans moving the air full tiime , . Used 1 bag a day to keep it about 65 /75 F , depending on the day, .Middle of Jan all through the chiilly time in Feb, -10 /-25 F it went up to 2 bags basically a day into March , All together , 4 Tons between Nov 1 to May ....Kept the crawl space @ 35 F on the coldest days . No problems , but have to light clean it on average every 3-4 days and good thorough cleaning once a month . Burned almost exclusively Energex Regular and the golden supremes during the cold weather.,We're in Upper St. Lawrence Cty ,NY about 5 miles from Can . A good stove but have to keep up on the cleaning ...
Thank you for your details. That may help them in anticipating what the routine care and pellet needs may be with a Lopi.

My p43 heats my 1000 square foot home to 70-74. My insulation isn't bad and I have new windows. If your home has an open floor plan like mine, a p43 could possibly do it, but I would want the extra btu of a p61.
We hear good things about Harman P-Series stoves. It has many similarities to the Lopi AGP. However the Lopi AGP does not come with higher btu's...yet....

We have a concern with Harman P series though based on something a dealer shared with us. We don't experience many power outages, but they do happen on occasion. Dealer had mentioned that the slide plate (transfer area from hopper to auger?), if power goes out while it is in the open position, can allow for fire to build back to hopper. I have my doubts on that but my knowledge on stoves is limited. I watch this video and don't see how it can happen...plus, seems to me that that would be a fundamental safety issue, and any stove having that problem should not be marketed...but, I don't know. Maybe I should inquire of this issue in a separate thread.

I asking about P-series stoves only because they do come with higher btu options, so may be possible alternative if we find that AGP's might not be efficient enough. (P-61A or even the XXV are possibilities.) Do like the flatter burn plate of AGP and hopper is bigger and easier to get too as it sits more toward front of stove.

First year with an AGP insert. No issues. We run the stove and heat pump together to heat our house. Our house is about 2500 square feet and we had no issues keeping the temp. We usually set to the low 70's in the dead of winter and neither the heat pump nor stove were running full speed even when we had our coldest night(which last year for us was -8F). So it isn't really a one to one comparison to what you asked.

I typically do more cleaning then recommended. I cleaned behind the baffles at least once every two weeks. I think that paid off because I only did my full cleaning in spring. The exhaust fan, convection fan and stuff was extremely clean. I easily could have burned another few tons before cleaning. the manual says to do this cleaning after 1 ton(maybe it is 2 I don't remember). I easily rat 2-3 tons, but doing the simpler cleaning more often saved me from having to do the much more intrusive cleaning and shutting down your stove in for a longer period of time in the middle of winter.

We hear good things about Harman P-Series stoves. It has many similarities to the Lopi AGP. However the Lopi AGP does not come with higher btu's...yet....

We have a concern with Harman P series though based on something a dealer shared with us. We don't experience many power outages, but they do happen on occasion. Dealer had mentioned that the slide plate (transfer area from hopper to auger?), if power goes out while it is in the open position, can allow for fire to build back to hopper. I have my doubts on that but my knowledge on stoves is limited. I watch this video and don't see how it can happen...plus, seems to me that that would be a fundamental safety issue, and any stove having that problem should not be marketed...but, I don't know..

I asking about P-series stoves only because they do come with higher btu options, so may be possible alternative if we find that AGP's might not be efficient enough. (P-61A or even the XXV are possibilities.) Do like the flatter burn plate of AGP and hopper is bigger and easier to get too as it sits more toward front of stove.

I don't remember ever hearing about this potential issue, and certainly never experienced it. Last winter I put each of my stoves on an APC BE750G UPS (Google that and you can find them for $69 w/free shipping right now) and the Harman's will detect the change from live current to battery (or something like that - I'm no electrical expert) and shut down gracefully. True, they won't turn themselves back on after the power has come back on, but my main concern is keeping smoke out of the house (one stove has very little rise for its exhaust). However, the first year I had the P61a, I didn't have it hooked to a UPS, and never had an issue such as you during power outages / flickers.

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.