Auger Motor for a Bosca Classic 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Janfire

Jun 12, 2017
Maine
Hi,

I have a couple of problems.

First I can't firgure out how to open the side panels to clean it out and I can't find a video on it.

Then the second problem is the auger is no longer turning so I have been trying to find a replacement motor in case it needs to be replaced but I can't find anyone that carries it. The one place I found it listed ( I didn't write down the name of the company or website) said that they were out and weren't sure they would ever get anymore in. I called USSC Imports and they gave me a number for a place called Stove Parts Unlimited. They don't even have a listing for anything Bosca. Does anyone know if the motor is available anywhere? Or does anyone know the model number of the motor so I could find a compatible one. Hopefully.

Hi,

I have a couple of problems.

First I can't firgure out how to open the side panels to clean it out and I can't find a video on it.

Then the second problem is the auger is no longer turning so I have been trying to find a replacement motor in case it needs to be replaced but I can't find anyone that carries it. The one place I found it listed ( I didn't write down the name of the company or website) said that they were out and weren't sure they would ever get anymore in. I called USSC Imports and they gave me a number for a place called Stove Parts Unlimited. They don't even have a listing for anything Bosca. Does anyone know if the motor is available anywhere? Or does anyone know the model number of the motor so I could find a compatible one. Hopefully.

The side panels are secured with 2 fasteners on each side near the front of the stove. If you look with a flashlight at the location shown below in the photo (edge of the heat output vent) you'll see (2) Phillips head self-tapping screws - one on each side. Take those out. At the bottom, open up the ash pan door and look on the inside of the side panels. You'll see a bolt on each side at the bottom, like the photo below indicates. With the bolts and screws out, you can swing open the side panels.

If you really need a new auger motor, they are industry generic 1RPM pellet stove motors. Buy one here if you are sure you need one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032D26I6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_nHQqzb9TQR7PK

However, if the stove is not feeding, there could be a whole host of issues other than a failed motor. If the stove has a faulty hi-temp switch, the auger motor will not turn. If the vacuum switch is not closing or defective, it may not turn and the stove will not even start. Its possible that the board has an issue as well.

Are you getting any error codes on the board display?

The good news is that these stove have relatively generic industrial motors, fans, igniters etc. Its pretty easy to get these kinds of parts and keep the stove running even though there is no manufacturer support. New control boards are even available from the OEM that made them for BOSCA when they were still in business in North America.

96DC8AD3-6563-49F6-8FCC-34443B65E307_zpshy3zk2vk.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950
New control boards are even available from the OEM that made them for BOSCA when they were still in business in North America.

Where would these be found?

Great post, by the way. I am surprised that people keep the BOSCA stoves running without original manufacturer support.

And yes, I am surprised to see auger motors on Amazon.

Where would these be found?

Great post, by the way. I am surprised that people keep the BOSCA stoves running without original manufacturer support.

And yes, I am surprised to see auger motors on Amazon.

Applied Control Electronics is the OEM for MANY domestic pellet stove manufacturers. They continue to offer the BOSCA control boards factory direct to consumers.

Bosca replacement boards are on eBay for $189. Search keywords: BOSCA Control

Also on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TG18HI6/?tag=hearthamazon-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TG1Y2CQ/?tag=hearthamazon-20

The Bosca stoves are what I would call overbuilt. If you have few critical spare parts on hand, its not a difficult undertaking to keep one going (unless turning a wrench is completely foreign to you). Like many pellet stove brands, the igniters, fans, blowers and auger motors are all industry generic and can be had for good prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Wow, great info. Thanks. I don't have a Bosca, but the info could translate into helping me out one day.

Also, when you say "overbuilt" you mean it in a good way? As in the stove is durable and with some maintenance can keep going?

-Yes.

Most all parts are heavier gauge steel. It's a heavy, durable stove.

Thank you this is really helpful. When I opened the sides it was a little dusty but not what I thought I would find. I did vacuum and gave the motors a little blast of air (from the cans you get to use on your computers) then put it back together, put in some pellets (about 20 cups) and tried it. Didn't work. When you ask about error codes on the board display I am not sure. The auger light is always flashing but when I push the start button the fan light comes on for about 4 beats then goes off then it repeats, but the auger light stays on even when the stove is off. The only sound you hear is what I think is a fan. I use to hear the auger motor when it was working. Is what I am describing error codes ?

Thanks for the link for the motor. That is Much cheaper than I had been able to find. What do you think should I order the motor?

Thank you this is really helpful. When I opened the sides it was a little dusty but not what I thought I would find. I did vacuum and gave the motors a little blast of air (from the cans you get to use on your computers) then put it back together, put in some pellets (about 20 cups) and tried it. Didn't work. When you ask about error codes on the board display I am not sure. The auger light is always flashing but when I push the start button the fan light comes on for about 4 beats then goes off then it repeats, but the auger light stays on even when the stove is off. The only sound you hear is what I think is a fan. I use to hear the auger motor when it was working. Is what I am describing error codes ?

Thanks for the link for the motor. That is Much cheaper than I had been able to find. What do you think should I order the motor?

You're going to want to review the owners manual. It is retrievable at this link:

http://www.ruralking.com/media/blfa_files/BOSCA_Classic_500_Pellet_Stove_Manual.pdf

Pages 25-29 present troubleshooting and discuss various error codes that the board can display. The error code is a specific blink code that will light up 1 of 4 led's on the vertical column of LEDs along the left side of the control board. Under normal operating conditions these leds let you know what heat level the stove is running at.

I wouldn't just pull the trigger on a new auger motor yet. You want to do some more testing to see if it is really the problem. What most folks would do next is either unplug the spade connector wire leads that are on the auger motor and then connect a test cord (AKA suicide cord) to the motor and then supply 120 volts to the cord to see if the motor runs.

A typical test cord is shown below. You need to exercise extreme caution with a test cord like this. It is easy to shock yourself or worse. For legal purposes I am not suggesting you go this route, I am simply saying this is the route many stove owners go to test the multiple blowers and motors on a modern stove. People usually sacrifice an old PC power supply cord or other extension cord to make one.
pelletstoveactestersc-jpg.50891.jpg

If you have a multimeter you could also turn on the stove to start it and probe the feed wires from the control board to the auger motor to see if the motor is even being supplied 120volts by the control board.

If the test cord does not make the motor run, the motor is shot. If the control board is not sending 120v as verified by a multimeter reading, the control board may be faulty.

Either way, you'll want to do some reading and some more testing.

The combustion blower doesn't come on? When was the last time the stove had a deep clean (internal exhaust pathways, combustion blower and out to pellet vent end)? Interior chambers and blowers start on page 23 in the manual. Always unplug when working in the cabinet. I use a drywall vent brush and then a hose on my ash vac to get into the pathways on my stove ... have to figure out what works on your stove. Be careful of the blades on the combustion blower though ... don't want bent blades.

If there is blockage, combustion blower death, other vacuum problems (silicon line failure), the auger will not function.

Is the stove on surge protection?