Auger motor issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maineack

Oct 20, 2016
Maine
So I have a new Englander and after an hour of it running nice it decides to act up. It stops feeding pellets into bottom auger which causes me to open hopper,shuffle pellets around basically do anything to keep chamber box hot. The auger will go again but eventually act up. I know it's intermittent but just not feeding properly. I'm off to by New motor. Could motor be getting tired? It's weird to buy one when stove runs good for hour or so

So I have a new Englander and after an hour of it running nice it decides to act up. It stops feeding pellets into bottom auger which causes me to open hopper,shuffle pellets around basically do anything to keep chamber box hot. The auger will go again but eventually act up. I know it's intermittent but just not feeding properly. I'm off to by New motor. Could motor be getting tired? It's weird to buy one when stove runs good for hour or so
What model Englander? If it one of the PDV's your problem is probably the restricter plate in the bottom of the hopper. If it closed down to far it will not feed larger pellets and they bridge over the top auger hole which starve the lower afire until you move the pellets around alittle so they drop in. My plate is about half way open and it pours out heat

Could that auger be angled upwards ? Can you press the back of the spinning auger motor forward a lot ? If yes, your auger could have worn out the washer that keeps it in place. That spinning motor part has a thread on it, if it slips back it will loose connection to the 1st gear. So it will be intermittent. I put a fiber washer in back of mine (Whitfield) and it worked for 8 years or so.