Auger motor question......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooper81

Jan 17, 2012
U.P Michigan
This may already have been discussed here, but my searches were unsuccessful.
Anyway, my CB1200 auger started making a grinding noise so I emptied the hopper, removed the entire auger and motor assy. to insure there was no plugging or binding and ran it while removed from stove and it still makes the (grinding) type noise, albeit not quite as loud. I guess my question is, is there anything I can try, or should I order a new one in anticipation of auger failure?

You could open it up and inspect it; see if anything is broken or mis-aligned. Maybe add some grease. If this don't work, time for a new auger.

I would go ahead and order a new one. Try and take motor off, to see if you can. Some of them are a real bearcat to get off. If you can't, then you know you need to order an auger assy. kap

My auger motor was getting noisy ... I inspected it and noticed oil on the outside of the gearbox. Once I got the motor off I saw that the auger turned freely. Time for a new motor.

Reactions: kappel15
No harm in ordering a new motor - if nothing else, it's good to have on hand. You will need it sooner or later.

depends on how much you rely on the stove. I keep parts in stock. an auger motor, combustion blower and room air blower. some extra vent pipe (i got from a friend) and a set of gaskets.

Id love to have a spare control board and a pane of glass but those items are a bit pricey for something i might never use. the blowers im guaranteed to need one day. same with the auger motor.

Always a good idea to keep spare parts on hand. Esp. if it is your only or main source of heat. kap

Thanks for the advice... It has quieted a bit but still a concern. I shall get one on hand.

If you have the auger out give it a coat of graphite paint. A shot or two of graphite powder in the last couple cups of fuel can give the tube a bit of help too. Give that motor a bit of ease screwing the fuel to it's fiery demise

Where in the UP are you, Yooper?
With the lack of a quick response, I'm guessing Munising. Too busy shoveling snow to hang around on a forum all day. :rolleyes:

Reactions: yooper81
How about that. There aren't that many people up there to go around, My family's name is Wanska, although the old-timers have all died off.
Aunt Lorraine and Uncle Rick.... cousins grew up and moved away. Grandparents were from Munising

If you have the auger out give it a coat of graphite paint. A shot or two of graphite powder in the last couple cups of fuel can give the tube a bit of help too. Give that motor a bit of ease screwing the fuel to it's fiery demise
I have a spray can of graphite . should I spray the last layer of pellets in the hopper or spray the auger blade in back of the burnpot?
don't want to pull the auger as it is not making noise right now..

I have a spray can of graphite . should I spray the last layer of pellets in the hopper or spray the auger blade in back of the burnpot?
don't want to pull the auger as it is not making noise right now..
I would do neither. If there is any adhesive in the spray your inviting Trouble. Powdered graphite to be sprinkled on the last of the pellets so they get as much of the graphite into the auger tube and mechanism as possible. This idea is not something I thought of but was recommended by a stove manufacture.
My idea was to paint the auger and I presented the idea to the company and they said that was a better option in their opinion.

I would do neither. If there is any adhesive in the spray your inviting Trouble. Powdered graphite to be sprinkled on the last of the pellets so they get as much of the graphite into the auger tube and mechanism as possible. This idea is not something I thought of but was recommended by a stove manufacture.
My idea was to paint the auger and I presented the idea to the company and they said that was a better option in their opinion.
good tip.. didn't think about an 'adhesive in the mix..
btw where do u get powdered graphite?

Know of any farm seed dealers? John Deere farm implement dealers should have it for the planters. Part #B33379. Its available around here at the farm stores to help feed seed thru the planters. Quart bottle was about $9 and will last a very long time.
I also use in the in works of the Bixby for its pot ejection system. Lot of metal on metal.

Reactions: Tonyray