Auger Motor Test Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hardy

Jan 8, 2019
WA
My new auger motor (1 rpm) is heating me out on level 1.

I have an enviro empress fs and I just tested it for heat levels 1-5 in...here's what I came up with.

Below is the amount of seconds in between auger turning on...

Heat Level 1 - 8.16 seconds
Heat Level 2 - 5.16 seconds
Heat Level 3 - 3.16 seconds
Heat Level 4 - 2.10 seconds
Heat Level 5 - 1.15 seconds

Does this sound normal?
Anyone else done this test?

This new auger is flying through the pellets unlike my last motor. It's also heating our house so hot that I have to keep turning it off and on. Getting pretty annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hardy

You should list auger on and off times,if you would like someone to preform a test on their stove.Have to have both for a valid test.I think you tested your new motor,but,to clarify,if your stove has a test position,how long for 1 revolution of the motor shaft,if you do not have a test format,wire it directly to house current,and measure 1 revolution.

Johneh, Appreciate the manual. Helped a ton. I'm dead nuts on the #1 heat level. Level's 2-5 seam to be a little off.

Sounds like I need to do an RPM test tomorrow.

So different from my last auger motor. I could last around 15 hours with one bag of pellets. Now it's around 10hrs.

Okay just retested. Here's my results (tested each heat level 3 times and took the average)...

Heat Level--------Auger on to on seconds----------should be (in seconds per manual)
#1---------------------------10.5------------------------------11.5
#2----------------------------7.4 -------------------------------9.06
#3----------------------------5.3--------------------------------7.07
#4----------------------------4.37------------------------------5.09
#5----------------------------3.35------------------------------4.07

Looks like I could have an RPM issue. Will check that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Okay I ran the test 3 times...

1st - 53 seconds
2nd - 53.50 seconds
3rd - 53.36 seconds.

What should that tell me? That I have a 1 RPM motor or it's a little faster than 1 RPM and it's not a true 1 rpm????

1.4 RPM

i'm only going by most of the ones i see out on the the web. im not the math teacher either brotha. :cool:

You might have to upgrade your control panel.Or,put it on a room thermostat and let it start and stop itself.

You might have to upgrade your control panel.Or,put it on a room thermostat and let it start and stop itself.

Upgrade meaning replace the old control box with a new one (same part #)????

I’ve pretty much have read and heard that auto on and off is not the best way to run a pellet stove (though I have thought about it for sure). Have you ever ran a pellet stove on auto/thermostat for an extended period of time???