"Auto" setting on blower not working...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff

Jan 4, 2008
Maryland
I have a Regency i2400 insert (had it for 2 mo.) that seems to no longer work on the "AUTO" blower setting. The manual setting is working properly. I'm getting surface temps of 400+ and have had the door closed for 30 min.+.

Any thoughts or tips are welcomed.
thanks

I have the hampton version. Pull the blower assemby and make sure the small snap disc is contacting where it is supposed to. I had to flex mine to touch and then everything worked well. Good luck.

Same with my Quad - they really cheesed out on the length of wire going to the thermocouple. It took me several tries of installing the blower without pulling the spade connectors off from tension on the wires. How about another inch or 2 folks?!

The blower for my Olympic had the sensor thing that you slide in the air hole. Of course the opening of the hole is smaller than the inside, so no matter what I did, the sensor would not sit against the stove. For the first week, it worked ok, but I noticed that it took longer to come on each time. Then last night I had a fire going, stove top temps running around 700 degrees and it stayed there for about a 1/2 hour. But the blower would not come on. Finally it kicked on, but shut off 1 minute later. I let it go into the on/off cycle for about another 1/2 hour when I had enough.

I pulled the blower out of the insert along with the sensor. I debated for a couple minutes, when I finally made up my mind. I unplugged the sensor and took one clip apart so that the two could plug into each other. Sort of turned one of the female clips into a male clip. Plug the two clips together and pushed the blower back into place. Now my blower is under manual control. If I ever decide to put the sensor back in place, I just need to replace the on hacked up plug. But I do not think that I will be putting it back in.

Oh, all this blower movement was with a 700 degree stove. Which needed to be lifted up to get the blower to slide in place. Needless to say, I used a car jack and 2x4 to get the insert up.

BC,

Good stuff, I only understood about 50% of what you wrote, but I appreciate your input. Kinda frustrating to pay all that $ for the stove and have a pretty important function not work properly.

JHOFF

Theres not much to those snap switches, take a lighter to it, if the blower fires up, the disc is fine, if not, have the dealer warranty you a new one. Its a common thing to happen

jhoff said:
BC,

Good stuff, I only understood about 50% of what you wrote, but I appreciate your input. Kinda frustrating to pay all that $ for the stove and have a pretty important function not work properly.

JHOFF
This sensor is not as difficult as is being made out. It is a thermal switch which activates and de-activates depending on the temperature on it at any given time. It gets it's heat from the surface of the unit which means if there is a space between the surface of the disc and the unit, it will cycle on and off. I would try removing the blower from cation, and remount it securely making sure this contact is taking place. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Jhoff,
Take a rubber mallet (or the heel of your hand, fist, etc.) and gently tap the blower further onto the insert. The blower assembly is a simply friction fit, so with time it's possible the snap switch loses contact with the stove.

I have the Hampton too, which is basically the regency 2400. I have not been 100 percent pleased with the snap switch. I find that I have to push the blower assembly further underneath the insert to get it to work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.