Q&A Automatic air damper for woodstove

QandA Posted By QandA, Aug 8, 2004 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    New Member 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    We need an automatic air damper for a wood burning stove to install in an 8" stove pipe. It can be a bimetal strip operated device that closes on temperature rise so that it will be unnecessary to watch the incoming air damper so closely. Please advise


    There is no such device. There are the following solutions:
    1. Barometric Damper--this is the swing type damper you see on oil burners- and they do a very good job of evening out the draft. When the draft is too high- they open and spoil the excess draft by letting some room air into the chimney.
    2. Thermostatic damper for stove air inlet - I think a few companies make (or used to make) a device which can retrofit over an existing manual damper and make it thermostatic. I tried these once and didn't like it. Best off with #1 above...make sure the barometric you buy is designed for Coal and Wood (Field controls makes one)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page