Automatic Blower on Montpellier II Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NHMushroomHunter

Oct 19, 2021
New Hampshire
My hair is getting gray over this issue! I’ve been searching the forums since January 2021 … anyway …

I cannot get the blower to start automatically. The stove shop I bought from is absolutely useless.

This insert is brand new and installed January’21.

What position should the power button be in? Installer said leaving power in OFF position would automatically start around 300 F. No - it’s OFF. ON position is just on continuously. I don’t want the blower chewing up electricity when the stove runs down during the night, hence blowing cold air into the house?

I hope I made sense and fellow Montpellier owners can help guide me. Thank you!!

Thank you! No, it’s only 2 positions. Maybe that’s the problem? But why would the installer give me bad info? Ugh!
Not sure if it helps. But my Osburn has two positions for the switch (on, and auto), but then also a dial for the blower speed. That dial can also be set to 'off'. So even if the switch was on auto the fan wouldn't kick on if the dial was accidentally set to the off position.

Reactions: NHMushroomHunter
^^ ding ding ^^ That is exactly how it works. The switch has two positions, Auto and Manual. The blower speed control has an off position when rotated fully counter-clockwise. Try turning the blower speed control to mid position with the switch in the Auto setting. Then let the insert heat up with a good sized fire for 30-60 minutes. The blower should come on. If it doesn't, then the issue is likely with the thermostatic snap switch.

^^ ding ding ^^ That is exactly how it works. The switch has two positions, Auto and Manual. The blower speed control has an off position when rotated fully counter-clockwise. Try turning the blower speed control to mid position with the switch in the Auto setting. Then let the insert heat up with a good sized fire for 30-60 minutes. The blower should come on. If it doesn't, then the issue is likely with the thermostatic snap switch.
Begreen, this is exactly what the installer said. So then, let me ask … is AUTO in the down or up position? Nothing in the manual about this. I’m sure I sound dumb, but I’m sincerely confused.

With the button in the UP position the fan runs. I can turn the fan speed down, but then I still have to turn the speed up once the stove is hot. Toggling the button to the DOWN position just seems OFF. ‍♀️

I am really appreciating the help from you people!!

OMGOSH! The blower just came on!!! I’m so grateful begreen, I might have to send you flowers!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You've got it. Up is manual, down is automatic. Turning the blower speed control all the way counterclockwise turns the blower completely off. Good to hear that the fan came on in the auto position.

• Love
Reactions: NHMushroomHunter