Avalon arbor woodstove problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Egoodegrl

Dec 30, 2018
Maine
help! I have an Avalon arbor woodstove, and I’m having trouble figuring out how to run it. I’ve been running it based off the instructions with the back ‘lever’ (bypass) down, and the air control open, which burns, but my stove pipe is RED hot and you can hear the air roaring up it. When I leave the bypass horizontal (open based on the manual) it runs perfect. But according to the manual the bypass should be vertical. Help! What am I doing wrong???? I’ve never had this type of stove before so I’m not used to it, although I’ve burned wood for years.... I’m stumped.

Attachments

• Avalon arbor woodstove problems
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 417
Closing the bypass on this stove puts it in afterburner mode. Others have also had this issue with the Arbor and it's Lopi equivalent, the Leyden. It runs hot in the back and sometimes downright nuclear.

Are you closing down the air as soon as possible? How tall is the flue system on the stove from stove top to chimney cap?

Here is a discussion on the Leyden that may be helpful. It wanders off into the weeds at times, but one option appears to be running it with the bypass partially open.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/lopi-leyden-advice.156706/

Note that the hearth in front of the stove is inadequate. 16" minimum floor protection is required.

Last edited:
it happens all the time..... regardless of if I close it right away or wait. Ugh. So frustrating. From stove to where it goes into my chimney isn’t far, 2 1/2 feet ish

How tall is the flue system on the stove from stove top to chimney cap?

That is just the stove pipe. How tall from the thimble to the top of the chimney? Is there a 6" stainless steel liner in the chimney?

Ohhh.... I have no idea.... my house was built in 2004. I’m not sure how tall my chimney is.... 2 full stories from where this stove is

I’m really curious why the stove is setup for rear exit like that? If the flue collar was reversed to vertical you would likely have enough hearth in front.

Reactions: begreen
Are you closing down the flue damper before closing the bypass?

Because no one wanted to help me flipped it around ‍♀️‍♀️
OK, that is still an option. Maybe have it done when the chimney is swept.
I don’t close the damper on the stovepipe normally
Try closing it with the next fire and see if that helps tame the beast.

Blacktail - I got this response:
it happens all the time..... regardless of if I close it right away or wait. Ugh. So frustrating.

For sure the air should be closed down and I would suggest closing the flue damper as well.