Avalon Arbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatlander21

Nov 30, 2008
MA
Hello Folks,

I purchased an Avalon Arbor woodstove a few months ago from a local dealer who has not completed the installation of the stove. While I was waiting for the dealer to finish the job, I contacted another Avalon dealer about maybe using him to finishing the installation and he told me that many of the Arbor woodstoves he has sold have had quite a few problems and he is no longer selling them. He said the stoves were poorly constructed and there has been ongoing problems with the glass breaking, concrete shields cracking, the bypass damper slipping shut, and gaskets leaking. Of course this scared the heck out of me and I am wondering if anyone out there has had any of these problems or if you are happy with the Arbor. I would appreciate anything feedback or news about these stoves.

Thanks!

I have the Lopi Leyden , which is similar to your Arbor. My dealer recommended this stove. I was told that the manufacturer of the Leyden (Travis) had taken care of the known problems with these stoves. I have only been burning for two weeks and am very
comfortable. I have read everything I could find on the downdraft type burn that these stove use. I have no smoke -long burns(depending on amount and size of splits 9-hours) and nice stove top temps. (450-500 F.) This site has been excellent and I am sure you will find someone here with more experience to help you. Jim P

Thank you very much for the reply. That's good to hear.

I have read a few bad reviews about the Arbor and I was wondering what I was in store for...We like the look of the Arbor and I have made a big commitment to make this unit work in our situation, ie: altered our mantel etc., as it is installed in an existing hearth. I have the woodstove partly inside the hearth, so i am hoping the blower works well to push the hot air into the room from the fireplace openning.

Can you tell me if the blower works well?

Also, I had my chimney lined and the installer neglected to install a block-off plate in the base flue as the specs require in the manual saying it wasn't necessary. Because the chimney wasn't cleaned at the time of the installtion I am afraid of soot flaking off and raining down on my woodstove and into the room. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

Yes the blower does a nice job of moving heat away from the stove. I run it on low to medium. I only have about two weeks with this stove. I find when stove top temp reaches 550 F. I close the bypass and close the air almost all the way. The stove then goes into after-burn. Am hoping other Arbor/Leyden owners respond to your post. Jim P

Status
Not open for further replies.