Avalon issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Battis

Apr 16, 2024
MA
Howdy. I've been using an Avalon woodstove (possibly 996) since the mid 90s, I like it (and I maintain it). But, there's now an issue with the door and latch. The latch works properly but the "lug" that the latch contacts to hold the door shut is showing new (worn) metal. This "lug" is attached to the door itself. I really don't remember its shape over the years, but it's definitely being worn down. The latch still shuts and locks properly but that worn section bugs me.
Any suggestions, ideas, etc? Maybe it's time for a new door.
Thanks.

Can just the door cam can be replaced? The odds of finding a replacement door are slim. If there is a good Lopi dealer in the area maybe see if their repair person knows whether a part from.

Pictures of the wearing part would be helpful if possible.

It the issue is a worn door cam, check with these folks to see if they have the part.

It's part of the door body itself. If I remove the handle, the lug will still be there. I'm thinking that it's been that way for a long time and I never noticed it. Every time I latch the door shut, this piece (lug) will be worn somewhat due to the door handle rubbing against it.
1st pic is a side view.
I should have reduced the size of the pics.

Avalon door 1.jpg Avalon Door2.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures help. The glass looks quite sooty. Does the door pass the dollar bill test?

I recently cleaned the glass and that section began sooting up soon after. I tightened the door latch and it passed the dollar test. I'm going to replace the gasket when the heating season is over.