Avalon Mission Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
Hey Folks,

I'm looking at an Avalon Mission model wood stove for use in a detached workshop. Stove appears to be in very good shape. My question is can anyone confirm for me that this is not a downdraft-style stove? I know that Avalon had some downdraft models as did Lopi. The pics of this appear to show tubes up by the baffle which I think would indicate a more traditional secondary-combustion type setup with which I'm familiar. Just want to confirm. Thanks for any feedback.

Tim

PS - I'm also considering a Morso 7110 for the same application, though I think the firebox might be a bit small. I've messaged some folks here who have them, but haven't heard anything back so any comments on this stove also welcome!

It's a conventional tube secondary stove, similar to the Rainier, but with 3 tubes instead of 2. Their downdraft stove was the Avalon Arbor, sister to the Lopi Leyden. At 1.8 cu ft, the Mission's firebox is much larger than the Morso 7110 and probably a better fit.

Last edited: