Avalon or Enerzone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

panhead802

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2008
Ransomville, NY
Hello all,

New to the forum, glad I found it though. Hopefully I can get some answers that are not coming from someone trying to sell me there brand of Insert.
My wife and I started looking for woodburning inserts this past week and think we have it narrowed down to 2 models that we can get locally.

1. Avalon Olympic - Salesperson was talking about how great the Unibody desgin was...Not too sure what this means in a wood burner. Price installed with 25' of liner $4099 a little higher than average for my area. (Aavalon Ranier was $3550 installed)
2. Enerzone 2.3-I - Looks like a good looking insert cannot find too many reviews on this unit so not to sure about the quality. Price installed with 25' of liner $3169 with $870 dealer discount for $2299.

As you can see there is quite a price difference so this leads me to wonder what is wrong with the Enerzone that it is that much cheaper, I know the Olympic has a bigger fire box and I really like the look of it but I also really like the thought of saving $1700. I have a 2100sq ft Colonial and this is going into a main floor living room that is approx. 500sq ft. I am not really looking to heat the entire house from the wood burner (It would be great if I could) just help offset the gas furnace a little.

Questions would be is there anything wrong with the enerzone that I should know about and which is a more efficient burner. Saving $1700 today to spend the same amount + over time because the unit is not efficient makes no sense to me.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Dan

Based on what you've said I think the Enerzone is probably a better choice. I looked at one of their Solution 3.4 freestanding stoves, very nice and good build quality with a 5/16" top plate. Enerzone is a newer line from SBI, (Stove Builders International), from Quebec which also makes Osburn and Drolet. If you look at the reviews for the Osburn stoves in the ratings you will be looking at roughly the same combustion technology as the Enerzone. $2,299 for an installed insert and liner is a pretty good deal. It's basic but should serve you well.

You might be able to heat most of the house with the Olympic but with the sound of your layout you would get blown out of the 500 SF room most of the time.

I can't say anything about Enerzone but I can tell you along with many others on this forum that Avalons are worth every penny and Travis Industries knows this. This is exactly why they can get away with charging a high price. These stoves burn great, clean, and with very little problems. The gasket will probably never need to be replaced because of the design, it is rimmed on the outside, a nice tight seal. My father has had his for about 10 years and has had no problem. I am on my second Avalon (upgraded from the Pendleton to Olympic) and I love this stove. The nice wide firebox is great for large splits. The top by pass damper makes cleaning the chimney very easy, perhaps one of the easiest to clean. No baffles or anything to remove.... Overnight burns no problems.....Keep your sweaters for outside only because inside you will only need t-shirts :lol:

It is a big difference in price so hopefully somebody with Enerzone experience will chime in and defend their stove

Either way you will have a great stove I am sure :)

Most everything I have heard and read about the Avalon says the same thing as JFK stated, they are very solid and dependable Stoves. If the Olympic is too big for my area I can always step down to the Ranier. I guess what I really need now is to hear input on the Enerzone form someone who has some first hand experience...Also can someone tell what this Unibody construction is and how it would make it better than the rest, that is unless the others are built the same but choose not to promote it.

We are looking for something that will last a long long time.

Thanks for all the input.

Dan

Hey Dan I am not that far away from you in Ransomville, nice area.

I would go with the Olympic instead of the Rainer, the firebox will get you frustrated at only 1.8 cu ft......I jumped to the Olympic from the Pendelton and I have been very happy. Whatever you do be careful of Heritage Fireplace and Stoves, their customer service after the sale is very poor and not respectful. I would call Country side stoves in Holland, they will drive up and install and clean all the way from down there with a smile

JFK, do you know anything about American Eagle Fireplace in Williamsville? That is the store that is selling the Enerzone stoves. I really like the Olympic but the price of the Enerzone is very tempting. I really need to find out what makes it different...I will call Country side tomorrow for some pricing, thanks for the heads up on Heritage.

Dan

My next door neighbor was very happy with the service there for his sons insert. I have not been in there but driven by it hundreds of times. They also sell Jotul and very good stove. They have been around for a while now so give them a shot.

Travis Industries makes Avalon and Lopi stoves? Are the models similar in construction and design and quality? In a quick comparison, I didn't see any models from both Avalon and Lopi that had the same firebox sizes. Sorry to get off the thread topic a bit, but I'm shopping and wondering about Avalon too.

I heated my house with an Olympic last season and it was the nicest stove I had ever used. It turned out to be too much stove for the area I was heating (about 1,800 square feet) or I'd still be using it. It has a big firebox, can take very long logs, has a huge door, simple controls and is solid as a tank. 8 hour burns are easy, and the amount of heat generated is incredible.

Have you also checked out Fireplace Outlet on Niagara Falls Blvd, they sell Vermont Castings (ehh) and Pacific Energy, which are very nice inserts. I am getting my Quadrafire 5100i installed by Black Hat Chimney in West Seneca. My first insert I looked at was a Olympic at Countryside (great people), then liked Pacific (fireplace outlet), then when I saw a QF in person I fell in love!!! Nice to see another WNY folk on the forum, I work out at the AF Base, hope we dont buzz your house too much. :lol: I walked into American eventhough I wasnt interested in anything they had, the Enerzones look to be a good product.

Wait a min I just got sucked in, Someone revived an 11 month old thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.