Average Cost per SqFt for Heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
I realize there are a lot of variables to this question, but is there some sort of guideline or study that talks about how much the average home needs for heating in an average winter, and the comparative costs of wood, pellet, natural gas, propane and oil?

For instance, I have a chalet-style home of two floors (the finished basement is 1/3 below grade) and approximately 1500sqft built in 1975 when electricity was cheap. My first year here I tried to use the electric baseboard only in the rooms I was occupying at the time, and even in the mild month of October I had a $300 electric bill - and it wasn't even really cold yet!

So, having just installed a pellet stove, I'm wondering if there's any information that might give me a sense of what sort of cost and consumption others with similar homes have, so I can judge if I need to do further work, and to determine what kind of stockpile of pellets I might need to carry me through the season.

You can try and check to see if your state has a energy web site that might get you some idea. Ours had not been updated in over ten years and what a joke as far as $$$$

Figure 4-5 tons for the year. You will probably burn close to a ton of pellets in the coldest months, and less in the warmer months.

When in doubt, do more air sealing and add more insulation.

Good luck.

No such thing as "average"...houses? stoves? pellets? A lot of swag here. And what is your average insulation, average desired indoor temp? Average outdoor temp? You just have to buy three tons and start burning. If you get "light" on pellets in March, you will add another ton before May. That is the "fun" of it, learning the ropes. I will say your savings burning pellets will NOT be average. You will do very, very well! I heat 800 sq ft. @ 74 degrees average temp (when home) and my average winter heating fuel cost is $650.00.

Electric is still cheap! if I didn't have oil, I might never have bought a pellet stove.

Those two links are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.