Using a pellet stove to compliment/lower existing heating??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alpha8484

Dec 31, 2022
Waterville Valley NH
Good Morning,

First time poster, recently purchased a place in NH that needs a bit of work. Half the house is heated with propane fired radiant. And the largest main room has a propane stove as well. I’ve been looking into replacing that stove with a Harman63. My thought is that having the pellet stove would potentially lower the cost of propane heating that portion of the house and speed up the heating process. The other half of the house has a mix of electric baseboard which I am planning to switch to hydronic baseboard.

Seeing as the stove would be 6-7k with install I was hoping for some thoughts on if this would work well in the long term? Would it cause some sort conflict with the radiant system? I thought I could set the radiant thermostat lower in that section of the house and use the Harman to throw heat in that area.

Many thanks

They are space heaters first. Yes it can lower your primary heating bill. Other alternatives to consider, pellet boiler and possibly a heatpump.

Reactions: gfreek
If you have seperate thermostats for the different areas, and those thermostats aren't located within the potential airflow from the pellet stove (such as a hallway that may warm up), then it should help in the long run.

Will definitely help i use my pellet stove as my main heat now and only use the gas furnace when the temps get really cold to keep air circulating to keep pipes from freezing. Even with the $600 of new blowers i ordered i still save money every month.. I have a older stove and if it ever fails to the point of beyond repair i will be out the same day buying a new one.. From what i have saved in the last 5-6 years of running it would easily pay for the new stove. The heat is so much nicer especially if you have arthritis those days were you are usually in pain from the cold are now gone ...at least they are for me...

Heating an 1800sqft cape in southern Mass with a Harmon Absolute 43. I keep the remote thermostat next to the furnace thermostat. The Harmon is set to 72, furnace to 64. I have had to put in a few room fans but thats it. Only use the furnace when were not home.