Baby's got a brand new set of wood-haulin wheels! see pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! How's the 4.0 do hauling that trailer with wood? I have a WJ with a 4.0.

Looks like you got a pretty sweet rig for a steal.

A word of caution on extra springs, tires, etc. The AXLE rating should not be exceeded. It doesn't matter if you put dump truck tires and springs on that trailer...the bearings in the axle and the axle itself should not be taken advantage of for safety reasons.

Good looking trailer though. If your anything like me, you will have a version V1.0, then V1.1, then V1.1b then Version 2.0 with updates...etc. ;-P

skier,
the XJ pulls fine, and i go up and down some steep hills on the way home, some almost 50-60 degrees! the power is there, just need to have the electric brakes on the trailer because she likes to scoot around otherwise. the 4000lb overall weight and short wheel base make it not the best towing vehicle in the world. but it works for me ! 17-19mpg too! (16mpg when towing)

I had a trailer like that a while back, not as sweet as yours. It was a converted horse trailer. This could be to. The issue I had was the axial was set back past the mid point of the bed. So if I loaded the floor equally the tong had to much weight on it, ruined the tow cars rear springs.

WoodButcher80 said:
skier,
the XJ pulls fine, and i go up and down some steep hills on the way home, some almost 50-60 degrees!
Sorry, but I'm going to have to call BS on that one!!! ;)

WoodButcher80 said:
skier,
the XJ pulls fine, and i go up and down some steep hills on the way home, some almost 50-60 degrees! the power is there, just need to have the electric brakes on the trailer because she likes to scoot around otherwise. the 4000lb overall weight and short wheel base make it not the best towing vehicle in the world. but it works for me ! 17-19mpg too! (16mpg when towing)

Good to know the 4.0 is up to the task...I have the same engine in my WJ. It works great for tugging my 4x8 and ATV, I've never hauled anything heavy as of yet.

Wet1 said:
WoodButcher80 said:
skier,
the XJ pulls fine, and i go up and down some steep hills on the way home, some almost 50-60 degrees!
Sorry, but I'm going to have to call BS on that one!!! ;)

i knew that was coming :)

i actually had to hold my hand at 45 degrees to simulate... so ok, maybe 50 degrees.
hey , OHIO aint all flat land!

i live on the border of the appalachian mountains so its a bit hilly ... no colorado or anything , but hey its not kansas.

I'm still not buying... Anything over about an 8% grade will start getting serious "trucks test brakes" warning signs... 12-15% is a STEEP hill. As a reference, IIRC, 10% is the maximum allowed on an Interstate. 50* is more than most ski slopes, and in the motorcycle world is about what most hillclimb competition sites are.

Over about 20% you are going to start having serious tipping problems, and issues with tire adhesion...

Steepest I recall ever seeing posted was about 18% and that was a real challenge.

Gooserider

again, im looking at my left hand trying to imagine 45 degrees. . . guess im way off. oh well . we sled ride down these roads and fly in the winter... so i dunno. theyre steep compared to other places ive been .

ANYWAYS...... getting back to the question.... the jeep works fine, but i wouldnt want to push over 4,000lbs with this trailer and these hills. no way. half cord or so and thats it... i dont mind the road trips though, as long as the wood score is close. otherwise im renting a 6x12 enclosed dual axle with surge brakes from uhaul for 30$ for 24hrs ! woohoo!

Here's how it works, % grade is a ratio of vertical to horizontal or you could say rise to run. An angle of 45 degrees would be 100 percent grade. ((1/1) * 100) = 100 . Those highways at 12% are very steep. I don't know what the steepest angle you could pull a trailer load of wood is before you smoke something. An estimate of 45 / 50 degrees might be a genetic male problem. You know we grossly over estimate the size of things.

you have that problem too?!?!?! good call, your probably right :)

heres some sugar maple i cut. she was 75 feet tall or so. the first 8 feet were punked so she had to come down. the rest was all good wood. the top was all entangled in vines but she broke here way out at the very end . about 3/4 cord . this is load 1 of 2 in the trailer. have to come back and get almost 30 more feet of trunk tomorrow.

Attachments

• Baby's got a brand new set of wood-haulin wheels!  see pics.
    sugar maple 5-10-09 (Large).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 175
    sugar maple 2 5-10-09 (Large).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 166
    sugar maple 3 5-10-09 (Large).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.