Back, and I have made my decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

parthy

Nov 23, 2013
Gimli, MB
I posted a thread looking for advice. That spurned me to look outside the box I built myself. Thanks to everyone who helped in that. I have made my final decision. I am getting the super 27 for my 936 (main floor with a crawl space) sq ft home.

I priced everything that I could. The super27 came in 1000 bucks less, heats more with longer burn times. Catalytic is a no go. Couldn't find one. And the price for shipping one in was astronomical. Will be getting it installed about the 2nd or 3rd week of February - have an inspection slotted in before I can officially order it. Installation/delivery about 4 days.

My hydro bill for this month will be 190 bucks (extremely cold the last 2 months with -50 windchills - about 80 bucks more per month). And at this price I am not exactly warm. Not cold, but not warm.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me with this.

Good choice. I think you are going to like that stove. Do you have a good supply of fully seasoned wood?

I have over 2 cords of dry split tamarack/poplar now. Under 18 now moisture content. I have 2 more cords coming end of Feb - 1 cord of dry,cut and split seasoned tamarack and 1 cord of green unsplit but cut mixture coming at the end of Feb. The huge wood dealer that I have ordered it from guarantees under 20 when they deliver,(the tamarack) can use my moisture meter to test when they arrive. I have a lot of dead tops that i will process, and if worse comes to worse, my hydro won't be that expensive to supplement what I have. I have a lot of trees that have to come down this year so if everything goes alright, I will be okay for 2015/16, while I build my stockpiles. I am very realistic as to what I have.

I spend 1200-1800 bucks a year to heat this place and only nominally at that. I have many local wood sources but that is for the future. This summer i am making places to store it.

Good idea to test when the wood arrives. Most sellers test on the endgrain which will give a false reading. Before accepting the load, resplit the wood and test on the freshly split face of the wood for a more accurate reading.

You will love having a good wood shed. It's the best way to keep wood dry.

I have one really good wood shed, but my father built it and he tends to overbuild everything ( as in costs lots of money). I need to find a way to cut down the costs of 2 more. The one he built is perfect and will be here long after I am in the ground. The more money I spend, the more the need to go back to work, and that isn't in the plans. hahahaha I also need them to be either portable or breakdownable. They will have to be moved once the landscaping on my property is finally done.

I live in the house that isn't finished and while that is barely legal, the village I live in doesn't have a problem with it, but it does present problems that as each one comes up, I have to address.

Congrats on the Super 27!

We heat our drafty 900 sq ft cabin on the west coast with one and do just fine - great for heating it up when we get there on the weekends, and we have to let it burn out every once in a while to keep it from getting too hot. Not sure how we will compare to a super-insulated 900 sq ft house in MB - if your hydro bills are less than $200 at -50C you must be super-insulated indeed! The stove should keep you toasty.

Don't forget pics when you get it installed ==c.

Parthy - it is nice going from 15-1800 a year heating cost to 100-400. I am on propane and last year it never ran so all I replaced was for stove/water heater/dryer use. I have run it a few time this year to avoid pipe freeze concerns but minimally considering the weather.

One huge advantage with propane(although I am sure it is the same with any fossil fuel heat) is I can decide when I want to buy vs. needing a mid winter refill and paying the "the world has a shortage" price.

Welcome and enjoy the heat - pics when you get that thing installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.