Back belt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Anyone wear one when processing wood? I had some back troubles due to sports but did some PT and it's been feeling great since October. Up till now. Figures it's acting up a little from doing exercises I was doing while at PT. Maybe I over did it. If you wear one is it worth it? I had been cutting some css through out the winter and working on my house with no pain this winter.

Anyone wear one when processing wood? I had some back troubles due to sports but did some PT and it's been feeling great since October. Up till now. Figures it's acting up a little from doing exercises I was doing while at PT. Maybe I over did it. If you wear one is it worth it? I had been cutting some css through out the winter and working on my house with no pain this winter.
What's your age?

I wear one. I’m 40 and hurt my lower back pretty bad about 2 yrs ago. I find it keeps my back movement a bit more controlled. I find it “keeps me honest” in that I do less stupid bending with it on.

I had L5-S1 issues in 2007 and rehabbed it and I did try a weightlifting belt at work for a bit but I realized that if I just made an effort to concentrate and keep my back straight and lift properly I didn't need it. I have read that it is also better to strengthen your muscles rather than rely on the belt which does make sense.

Best of luck to ya!

I’ve also found that adding good tools have been helpful to me with processing wood. Specifically the hydraulic splitter and the LogOX.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I'm only 32. Happened a couple years ago swinging a baseball bat. Went away. Came back. I'm a PE teacher and coach so I fully understand the whole strengthen everything and don't rely on a belt. It happened while performing exercises I was doing in PT. I was just looking for input on one. Thanks guys.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I'm only 32. Happened a couple years ago swinging a baseball bat. Went away. Came back. I'm a PE teacher and coach so I fully understand the whole strengthen everything and don't rely on a belt. It happened while performing exercises I was doing in PT. I was just looking for input on one. Thanks guys.

32. Well, my point was that if you are over 40, the 3 core rules of life apply. No sports, no exercise, no shorts. You being 32 might be an exception. I am 60, have no issues (I think). The only exercise I do now is splitting and moving firewood.

32. Well, my point was that if you are over 40, the 3 core rules of life apply. No sports, no exercise, no shorts. You being 32 might be an exception. I am 60, have no issues (I think). The only exercise I do now is splitting and moving firewood.

What is the 3 cord rules of life

My back always hurts when I first start cutting firewood, it's the bending at an odd manner that triggers it. It goes away once your conditioning comes back.. It's caused by having a weak core muscle group. Guilty as charged.