Back Boiler for Jotul F500 for Rads & Hot Water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfetone

Apr 29, 2014
MA
Hi
So I have a jotul F500 and was wondering if this can be rigged to supplement my hot water primarily, and forced hot water radiators if needed but that's a secondary priority.

Currently I have oil heated indirect hot water, and it's ridiculously inefficient, despite a high efficiency storage tank

So I'm currently in Europe where everyone is like ' why don't you hook up a back boiler on your wood stove?'

Why don't we do this in the US?

Does Jotul make a boiler for the F500?

Anyone doing this?

I think that unless the stove is UL listed to have a water jacket, its a no no. Not that folks don't do it.

I do not believe Jotul makes such an accessory.

I think you will find that many stoves may not offer this as an option due to concerns over the water turning to steam and possible ruptures . . . just a guess on my part.

Personally, I switched over my oil fired DHW to propane . . . and now I am giving some thought to eventually switching over to the hybrid Geospring to save money . . . in the long term.

Doing that would cause firebox temperatures to stay too low causing the stove to burn dirty. There is an article on woodheat.org http://www.woodheat.org/heating-water-with-a-wood-stove.html. Unless your house is very large or not well insulated, the Oslo puts out lots of heat. As to the hot water, I have instantaneous from the oil boiler and I can get 6-9 months out of a 275 gal tank of oil using it only for hot water.

Hi

I am the same with regard to oil use. We just bought the home and it uses up $100 per month on oil just for hot water, which I think is ridiculous

So I got a plumber out and he asked if the people that supplied the oil to the previous owners were the people that installed and services it, and it was. It was rigged up to deliberately burn more oil! It was put in in 1995.

So I'm debating a natural gas conversion, or reprogramming the existing 1995 boiler/burner to be more efficient for hot water, it also needs a small section from the boiler to the indirect water heater replumbed as it was underplumbed with smaller piping than recommended, so the water heater is always calling for hot water even though it's two of us in the home.

So far the Jotul F500 has been amazing and puts out plenty of heat for the whole house even in outside temps in the 20's so hopefully it'll handle Jana/Feb ok.

Hi

I am the same with regard to oil use. We just bought the home and it uses up $100 per month on oil just for hot water, which I think is ridiculous

So I got a plumber out and he asked if the people that supplied the oil to the previous owners were the people that installed and services it, and it was. It was rigged up to deliberately burn more oil! It was put in in 1995.

So I'm debating a natural gas conversion, or reprogramming the existing 1995 boiler/burner to be more efficient for hot water, it also needs a small section from the boiler to the indirect water heater replumbed as it was underplumbed with smaller piping than recommended, so the water heater is always calling for hot water even though it's two of us in the home.

So far the Jotul F500 has been amazing and puts out plenty of heat for the whole house even in outside temps in the 20's so hopefully it'll handle Jana/Feb ok.

You have access to natural gas?

How much to get it to your house and get a high efficiency natural gas boiler put in? Total total with all the junk needed to go along with the swap?

Oil to gas conversion with the line install from the street, a Veissmann 200, and plumbing charges, the first quote I got was $15,000 total.

Obviously I'm going to shop around.

Is that to convert your oil boiler to natural gas or to have a new natural gas boiler installed?

I understand you will shop, but that doesn't sound like a lot of money for what really is a life changing experience. One you get NG to the house, you can use that for cooking, pipe in a BBQ, etc. You can still use your excellent wood stove for the heat, beauty and comfort it provides. And heck, if you scrounge or cut, you can still save money on your NG by burning wood...just not so much.

Yep.

So I'll just get a few estimates for a natural gas conversion.

I'm thinking of Veissmann, and keeping my newish 2 yr old superstor indirect water heater.

May I ask what kind of radiators? I think you can run the old fashioned cast iron ones at lower temperatures, for more efficiency on your boiler.

May I ask what kind of radiators? I think you can run the old fashioned cast iron ones at lower temperatures, for more efficiency on your boiler.

That's exactly what I have, the old style cast iron radiators, forced hot water!
Gotta say I love those old radiators

Now I'm on thin ice, but maybe you can use outdoor reset with a mod-con boiler with those emitters, and be really efficient. Like I said, thin ice.

Now I'm on thin ice, but maybe you can use outdoor reset with a mod-con boiler with those emitters, and be really efficient. Like I said, thin ice.

I don't know much about these, guessing they regulate according to the outside weather and adapt the boiler temp to the weather changes?
What if my indoor stove is on...hoping it takes that into account too....

How many heat zones should a 2 story home have? 3200 sq feet. It has two AC zones but one heat zone I believe. Should I change that to two heat zones while I'm getting this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.