Back of Stove Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

randomnickname

Nov 14, 2022
Belfast
Hi, we moved into this house last year. Recently I noticed at the back of the stove (stovax) there was a slight bulge. When I touched it crumbled. It has not crumbled the hole way through. Feeling around the area it is soft in a rectangle of 15-20cm. Not as soft as the bit that completely crumbled. The rest of the back is solid.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be? 2 thoughts from me are it was damaged at some point or that's its not fire rated board and should not have been installed. From what I can see from manufacture instructions it does appear to be installed correctly i.e. distance etc.

Ideas on how to fix? Is it possible to installed a fire rated board over the existing, or do I need to remove it completely, which may be difficult.

20221107_074604.jpg 20221115_201754.jpg 20221115_201801.jpg

It does look pretty close. If its not installed with enough distance to the walls, than I'd worry about damage behind the wall, and how that alcove was constructed. I wouldn't run the stove until I was completely sure it was safe.

It does look pretty close. If its not installed with enough distance to the walls, than I'd worry about damage behind the wall, and how that alcove was constructed. I wouldn't run the stove until I was completely sure it was safe.
Thanks. It's just under 200mm distance to rear. Looks to be a gap then brick wall behind from what I can see. I can't currently get a full view yet of the back.

You need to determine if it’s wall board or crumbling plaster/cement. What is the age of the house?
Second you need to figure out if a water leak is responsible for this?

Hi, Its some sort of board that's been constructed around the stove to create the "fireplace". I'm unsure when it was installed or by who but it is recent compared to the age of the house (built 1950/1960s). Where the stove is, is in a new extension. I plan on replacing the wallpaper so once off I should be able to get access to the side and then can see the material better.
I know the stove brand is stovax but I cannot see any ID details where they should be to find the make. As far as I remember this was there when we moved in but at the time it just looked like dirt/dust build up due to the white wall.

This stove needs to be in an entirely non-combustible enclosure. Like one made of masonry, not one that "looks like" a proper enclosure. If there is wood behind or above this stove then pyrolysis can be settling in. Get a certified Hetas sweep out asap to determine the construction of the hearth.