Backup to wood heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breamer999

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Brackley Beach PEI
Maybe this is over the top, but do any of you folks have a backup to heating with wood it the power goes out. For example you are really snowed in and can't get to wood shed, or just too damm sick or any other irrational reason?

Or if your stove glass breaks and you can't get it repaired right away. Just throwing out scenarios....

We have a high efficiency heat pump system. It gts used when we are away and during mild 50 to 60 deg weather.

My primary heat source in theory is an oil furnace. I haven't filled the tank in 3 years and probably wont this year. My wood boiler is set up so that if it fails or is turned off the oil boiler takes over. I also have a minisplit heat pump that is independent of the oil/wood system. I also have my old VC defiant sitting next to my wood boiler which can be switched over to the flue. It doesn't require power to operate and during an ice storm in 1998 I heated the entire house from it. I keep about a third of a cord in my bulkhead which will cover me for a couple of weeks in winter.

I also have Jotul 606 wood stove and 404 cookstove in stock but no pipes to connect it to the flues.

Realistically my wood boiler will cover me for about 48 hours unattended in cold weather with the heat pump as a partial backup, from them on the oil boiler does its thing.

Reactions: macattack_ga
I keep a few bundles of compressed wood bricks in the basement (about 5 days worth of burning) incase I'm really sick, never thought about the glass breaking on the stove door, and since I work for the power company I don't need a generator, I just fix it as it breaks, actually the longest outage my street has had since I moved into the small neighborhood 5 years ago was 2 days, that's how long it took me to cut my self a trail back home after Sandy hit.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I keep a few bundles of compressed wood bricks in the basement (about 5 days worth of burning) incase I'm really sick, never thought about the glass breaking on the stove door, and since I work for the power company I don't need a generator, I just fix it as it breaks, actually the longest outage my street has had since I moved into the small neighborhood 5 years ago was 2 days, that's how long it took me to cut my self a trail back home after Sandy hit.

I'm usually pretty good at keeping the place full of wood in totes squirreled away in event of a storm, but I've had times when I've been on my back with the flu and would have given anything for a 2nd source of heat. It has to be a pretty back set of circumstances for 1) me to be too sick to get wood 2) wood stove out of commission and 3) no electricity, so maybe I am worrying over nothing. But I'm 53 and know Murphy quite well

I'm usually pretty good at keeping the place full of wood in totes squirreled away in event of a storm, but I've had times when I've been on my back with the flu and would have given anything for a 2nd source of heat. It has to be a pretty back set of circumstances for 1) me to be too sick to get wood 2) wood stove out of commission and 3) no electricity, so maybe I am worrying over nothing. But I'm 53 and know Murphy quite well

"bad" set of circumstances I mean

As said earlier I work for the power company as well so I would just try to restore what power I could. If it was real bad I could just use one of our generators. I have two stoves so I can't see both being down for the count, and I usually keep about a months worth of wood in the garage. If I knew a bad storm was coming I would be ready.

I am ok with current season as a infrequent burner for c/s/s mix of oak, ash and birch. They are stashed right outside the garage. As for next year, it would be a foreseeable issue as oak and maple being c/s/s now would likely not be dry enough. I would probably either scrounge seasoned wood or order a pallet of Biobricks for next year.

Backup heat is gas furnace - haven't even lit the pilot light in 3 years. I usually keep about a month's worth of wood either in the basement or right outside the basement door under the deck. That has gotten me through everything so far.

or order a pallet of Biobricks for next year
I wonder if it would be worth buying 1 or 2 tons of bricks at the end of this season if there on sale, could save a little dough
I know Kuiken Bros lumber had a rather large leftover stash from last season, I don't remember what the sale price was but I do remember the beginning of the season price ($335.00) a ton, I wanted to pick up a ton for mom and dad for x-mas but not at that price, was kind of happy that it was mild and the lumber yard lost out on there hedge bet, especially when you know there getting them less that 175.00 a ton.

My oil boiler is my back up heat to my woodstove . . . I guess I don't worry too much about my stove being out of commission due to broken glass or not being able to get to the wood (due to snow) since my woodshed is about 30 feet from the house and I move a week or so worth of wood on to the covered porch and a day's worth of wood in the woodbox next to the stove. If I'm sick or away for too long the oil boiler should kick on.

One original benefit to buying a woodstove was to have a back up heat source when the power goes out . . . I suppose if Murphy's Law kicked in and I somehow broke my stove and/or couldn't get to the woodshed and was out of wood AND the power went out I could always try hooking up my gas powered generator to the oil boiler in a pinch . . . unless of course I had no gasoline . . . or was too sick to get the generator going . . . or the house was surrounded by zombies. I guess what I'm trying to say here is it's good to plan for contingencies, but one can quickly get into a downward spiral with the worse case "what if" situations (i.e. you lose power, your stove dies, etc.)

Reactions: Oldman47 and Dix
I ran for 6 years with no back up..... let's just say it was alot of work. It was wood stoves or bust. Worst scenario was when it was 0F outside, and I was gone for 10 hours or so. Came home to the house at 50F, and it took all night t get temps back up and the thermal mass inside of the house heated back up :mad:

Currently the oil burner is now back up, and honestly, I'm really glad I got it fixed this fall (she says as it's rumbling now providing heat to the lower level as the PE is beginning to purr ;) ).

No generator yet, but it's on the list !

Generac Generator to power the whole place when the power goes out. I opt for a portable 10kw gasoline model that I plug into the house which in turn runs to the circuit box. This way, I can also use the generator as a portable power source if need be.

Oil boiler is my backup heat source if I'm away for too long. With two stoves, I likely won't have an issue. I also have a generator that will run the whole house (save for the double-oven). As long as I can run my well and the boiler, I'd be in good shape. The oil boiler heats our hot water and with the 5 of us, we probably burn a gallon a day for dishes, laundry, showers, etc. I keep a face cord covered on my back patio, 2 days worth next to the upstairs stove, and a half a face cord next to the downstairs stove.

Wood is my backup! I only get about 25-30% of my BTU's from wood the rest is supplied by oil. Have a generator and transfer switch to run the boiler if needed and battery backup to run the fans on the insert. If that fails I have Marriott Rewards.

Reactions: BigCountryNY
Oil boiler, pellet boiler, portable kerosene heater, 2k generator, 7500k generator for well.
6 tons of pellets and 275 gal oil tank in basement, 4 cords of wood in garage, no kerosene.
I'm using the insert and oil now.

I'd say the kerosene heater is a good option for emergency heat.

Well,being a pellet burner now,maybe I should not reply.But,for backup I recommend a gas(ng or propane) pilot direct vent heater.A small unit will keep house above freezing,and larger one will heat house,maybe not comfortably,but livable.Being in the mountains,where power goes out a lot,my empire direct vent units have been a lifesaver for over 20 years.Bad thing--for the guy that does not light his pilot light---when lit and not burning(heater on) the pilot uses 11 to 18 dollars a month.When not lit,the heater unit acts as a convection unit,transfers inside heat to the outside,same as a window a/c unit,really cheaper to keep pilot lit.Just my opinion.

Portable Kerosene heater. I usually use it only in my garage in the winter when I have something to work on, but I always keep a few gallons on hand, "just in case". My stove doesn't require electricity to run, and I could not imagine enough snow to not get to my wood stacks.

Well I was recommending a long term solution,with benefits.Kerosene out here is about 20 dollars a gallon.And no oxygen depletion inside the house.But I do have a unvented propane heater,in the basement,basement that is dirt floor,mostly underground,is there in case of worse case scenario.Not to live on for 3 days if there is an emergency..

Some how, I don't think zombies would appreciate Maine, Jake :p

You're right . . . we do seem to have a lack of brains. ;) :)

Reactions: Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.