Backup to wood heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A backup to a backup is a good plan. Our house has baseboard electric as primary heat, which became the secondary source to the heat from the wood stove we installed in 1990, wood since then being the primary heat. Electric is quite dependable in our area, but still concerned, especially if we leave home for a week or two in winter and have electricity interrupted. So we also installed a direct vent 35,000 btu LP wall cabinet furnace with a 120 gallon LP tank, and millivolt pilot light thermostat, as the emergency backup when we're gone. No electricity needed to operate. That is sufficient to keep the house from freezing up, and the LP is good for 1-2 weeks.

But as for "really snowed in and can't get to wood shed, or just too damm sick or any other irrational reason," we have about 1/3 cord of wood kept on the back porch, replenished as needed from the wood shed, and a wood box in the living room that holds sufficient wood for about 5 days supply in the coldest weather (-30 to -40F). Those two together will handle the irrational reasons and keep the wood stove fired.

But if the glass breaks on the stove? 26 years of burning wood and never thought about that ... and will continue to not think about that.

One possible MacGuyver fix to the broken glass issue if'n it arises?

Piece of sheetmetal and some screws. (precut?) Take out remaining glass and attach to the frame.
That'll getcha thru until UPS gets there. A-cut-to-size piece could fit right in the track and cement
around the perimeter?

If I can't get to the wood It means that I'm dead.

LP boiler system
Upcoming Tarm Boiler install
12KW Kohler standby (LP)
7KW Honda (gas)
VC Vigilant in basement
Jotul FP insert in LR

Lots and lots of ammo for the zombies. LOL

Reactions: excessads
Lots and lots of ammo for the zombies. LOL[/QUOTE said:
My neighbor think I'm stashing 2 cords of wood plus solar panels preparing for doomsday zombie apocalypse, lol. In reality, I am simply enjoying my new hobby of c/s/s/B wood.

8 inches of heavy snow knocked my power out for 12 hours on Sunday. I had the house cranking before hand at 73 degrees, luckily. It only got down to 66 when the power came back on. A generator is now priority one. Being out of power for 3 days is not uncommon in my area, as we take a low priority to the suburban areas. I plan to buy a propane run whole house generator "someday."

Hi Dave. Ever since NYSEG came through a couple years ago and trimmed the trees it's been a lot better. Probably a matter of time before it goes back to the way it was.

Piece of sheetmetal and some screws. (precut?) Take out remaining glass and attach to the frame.
That'll getcha thru until UPS gets there. A-cut-to-size piece could fit right in the track and cement
around the perimeter?

Maybe just buy an extra glass to have on hand. Perhaps might me an unnecessary purchase if you never needed it , but piece of mind is worth something.

Velvet,
After Asplundh shredded for AEP here, we went three years without an outage.
Biz as usual now again. Wind blows, no power and free firewood. lol

around the perimeter?
Interesting idea, the sheet metal. My old VC Resolute came with metal pieces cut to the same size as the glass. I don't think the metal was for contingency purposes, instead were original equipment, and the glass was an option. They were definitely thicker than sheet metal, perhaps even cast iron. I'd want a thick piece of sheet if I were going to use it on the big area on the epa stove I'm using today.

I need a generator too - I'll never be out of wood, and theres an oil boiler setup in the basement, but without electricity to move the hot water from the Garn through the house, or fire the oil unit, we're dead in the water. I want a propane fired one, as it can sit for long periods without the fuel going bad. As a retired lineman I know how fragile the system really is, the Halloween storm 4 or 5 years ago left our whole town out for 5 days. Last summer, one shot of lightning took us out again for 15 hours. It's not a frequent thing, but dead of winter it we could have problems. I just hate to spend 700.00 for a generator that might sit in the box for 4 or 5 years.

I use a wall mounted ventless 20k btu propane heater in the basement. That keeps it toasty down there when needed as my insert is on the main level. Also have a 8.5k tri-fuel generator if all else fails...

I need a generator too - I'll never be out of wood, and theres an oil boiler setup in the basement, but without electricity to move the hot water from the Garn through the house, or fire the oil unit, we're dead in the water. I want a propane fired one, as it can sit for long periods without the fuel going bad. As a retired lineman I know how fragile the system really is, the Halloween storm 4 or 5 years ago left our whole town out for 5 days. Last summer, one shot of lightning took us out again for 15 hours. It's not a frequent thing, but dead of winter it we could have problems. I just hate to spend 700.00 for a generator that might sit in the box for 4 or 5 years.

I bought a small generator two weeks ago. Like you I thought that I would hate for it to be sat unused but on reflection I realised that if it sat unused for 5 years I would be very happy! I do now have the comfort of knowing I am prepared if the worst does happen. Regarding fuel, the generator I bought runs on petrol (gas). I have a can full and I plan to pour it into my car if not used after six weeks and refill it at the petrol station when I fill the car.

I have electric baseboard to fall back on. I had to this spring when the old liner In my chimney came apart. This year I used it on a few chilly days when I didn't think making a fire would be worth the trouble and in our upstairs bedroom where the basement woodstove doesn't reach quite good enough.

As for spare wood, i usually pack my basement full upon any hint of impending bad or excessivly cold weather. According to the measurements of my storage area, I can get about 1.5 cords in there, which would keep my nc30 fed for a good while.

I don't have a generator; that may be a good investment for the future. Although the power in this area, despite it being fairly rural, is pretty reliable. My dad who lives close, bought a generator 15 years ago for emergencies. He's used it for that once, and only for a few hours. It has come in handy to build treestands and to light my basement while I replaced my electric panel though.

Maybe this is over the top, but do any of you folks have a backup to heating with wood it the power goes out. For example you are really snowed in and can't get to wood shed, or just too damm sick or any other irrational reason?

Or if your stove glass breaks and you can't get it repaired right away. Just throwing out scenarios....

As I told the insurance company, " I heat with oil wood is just an enhancer " . I just happen to do a lot of enhancing and then have a portable generator to enhance the oil furnace and the wood stove.

bob

I have the woodstove which will heat the entire house. New oil boiler and a generator.
A few kero heaters as well.

Backup for that? Drain the pipes, grab the suv, rifle and get the heck out of town.

Maybe this is over the top, but do any of you folks have a backup to heating with wood it the power goes out. For example you are really snowed in and can't get to wood shed, or just too damm sick or any other irrational reason?

Or if your stove glass breaks and you can't get it repaired right away. Just throwing out scenarios....
I have a natural gas furnace but hate to cheat

Status
Not open for further replies.