Backyard Rink 2016

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
Well, after an incredible year for backyard skating last year, we've gotten lucky with another excellent stretch of ice weather. I put up the boards the week after Thanksgiving and enjoyed the balmy weather through New Years. Then I saw the forecast dropping, so I threw the liner in, filled it up on Jan. 3, had 4" ice by Jan. 6, and frozen to the ground by the 8th! Except for a few days of cold rain, it's been good skating ever since. Only had to shovel off a few dustings so far, and we're being spared from the storm this weekend. I'll take it!

Here's some actions shots of the boys, 6 & 8, chopping it up. It's a 20'x40'. Anyone else shaving some ice in their yards?

backyard_rink (3).JPG backyard_rink (7).JPG

That's awesome.

I used to do one here too for the kids. It was the same size, 20x40, give or take. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you ask my back), they grew and those days are over for us. Oldest boy is in college now. Enjoy it to the fullest while it lasts - we made some pretty good memories out there.

Edit: one thing I did to improve things over the years was hang another board layer over the starter ones, inside, over the side plastic. It protected the plastic & made 'real' (although very short) boards the puck would bounce off.

What a blast! you're never cold when you're moving. :)

Nice pictures!

I have helped flood a town rink that is 400 meters from my house. It has a heated cabin with all the amenities and flood lights for night. The problem is that we did not have any snow for a base so it took a long time to start it. I spent 15 hours in 1 week there: every 2 nights for 2-3-4 hours. Now we have about 6-7 inches of ice and keep adding daily.

Nicely done!

Andrew

Any one try building a rink on top of ice on a lake? The issue we have, is the lake gets to rough. We like to build level surround and the flood a big area. Any idea's?

Nice job. This post reminds me of my when my dad did the same thing in the early 70's - flooded the backyard for us and the neighbor kids. Fond memories.

Any one try building a rink on top of ice on a lake? The issue we have, is the lake gets to rough. We like to build level surround and the flood a big area. Any idea's?
You need a water pump of some kind, a portable generator and some garden hose. If you're really cheap, you could use one of those pumps you attach to a drill and use a cordless drill.
Chop a small hole in the ice or use the drill to make a hole, drop the house or pump in and away you go.

Last edited:
Or a small gas powered pump. Should be a piece of cake on a lake. The hardest part about maintaining a backyard rink, is clearing off the slush & wet snow after a mild snowfall or one that starts as rain then changes to snow, before a freezeup. Which most times means it needs done pretty quick. That wet stuff is brutal, and it doesn't snowblow very good. If you leave it there, it will ruin your ice. It could be fixed though with copious amounts of water - which a lake should present.

. The hardest part about maintaining a backyard rink, is clearing off the slush & wet snow after a mild snowfall or one that starts as rain then changes to snow, before a freezeup. Which most times means it needs done pretty quick. That wet stuff is brutal, and it doesn't snowblow very good. If you leave it there, it will ruin your ice. .

Oh yes, I learned that real quick last year. Had to shovel 3" sleet & rain off before the slab was frozen solid. Ended up cracking it in half by pushing slush to the edges, slab was sinking from my weight, waded in ice water in the rain for an hour to get it all cleaned off. But boy was it nice after that! Until I ran out of room to throw snow...

Taking a rink hiatus last week & this due to El Niño weather, but I have no doubt we'll be back on it before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.