Bad Control Board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bburtt

Feb 13, 2021
Spencer, MA
My Harmen XXV was new 2016. For the most part I have been very happy with the stove. Recently I have been experiencing some problems with the stove. The most annoying is that it seems to be stuck on low fan no matter what mode I am using (constant burn or room temp.) Secondly the stove does not want to seem to power down. I am having to pull the plug from the wall and reset the power when I want to turn it off. It is my main source of heat so I don't need to turn it off often during the winter but now that I am in the cold stretch of the New England winter low fan/burn is not enough heat. My first thought was the ESP is going bad or has gone bad. My second thought is the control board is bad but was hoping for input before I ordered one. I am a plumber/HVAC tech by trade so I am not afraid to work on the stove myself. Any advice would be helpful.

Use an old cord and wire it to your motor then plug into the wall outlet and see if it runs on high. That could help rule out the motor or if its starting to fail

Reactions: Washed-Up
It could be the potentiometers on the board are dirty making poor contact. Spraying them with DeoxIT may solve the problem.

Reactions: Washed-Up
It is my main source of heat
Your first big mistake. No biomass stove should EVER be considered as a main source of heat, ever. They are space heaters, not central furnaces. Very false economy that will ultimately leave you out in the cold, literally.

My Harmen XXV was new 2016. For the most part I have been very happy with the stove. Recently I have been experiencing some problems with the stove. The most annoying is that it seems to be stuck on low fan no matter what mode I am using (constant burn or room temp.) Secondly the stove does not want to seem to power down. I am having to pull the plug from the wall and reset the power when I want to turn it off. It is my main source of heat so I don't need to turn it off often during the winter but now that I am in the cold stretch of the New England winter low fan/burn is not enough heat. My first thought was the ESP is going bad or has gone bad. My second thought is the control board is bad but was hoping for input before I ordered one. I am a plumber/HVAC tech by trade so I am not afraid to work on the stove myself. Any advice would be helpful.
Is the stove hooked to a surge suppressor? Wonky esp probe could cause the problem. When was the last time the stove, esp probe and exhaust had a good cleaning?

i just went thru the same problems as you and for at least the past week the stove now performs perfectly. i cleaned the pot that controls fuel feed.
let us know how it turns out.
bob noffs