Bad smell from log burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark with cats

Feb 8, 2020
Yorkshire
Hello and thank you for reading this.
We have been enjoying our log burner for 2 years now, a couple of weeks ago I gave it a mid season sweep and since then we have been getting a bad smell, I believe it is from a black residue that has seeped down the flue.
The rope that looks to seal the flue through the hearth has slipped down so I tapped it back in with a lead punch and the smell seemed to be clearing until last night

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the mrs and the cats don't seem to pleased with me because of coarse it is my fault

Thanks...mark

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_092107.jpg
    IMG_20200208_092107.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20200208_092256.jpg
    IMG_20200208_092256.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20200208_092128.jpg
    IMG_20200208_092128.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200207_184204.jpg
    20200207_184204.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 194
Looks like someone stuck that fiberglass gasket up around the pipe to fill the void. I think you should go take the chimney cap off and take a bright spotlight and look down the pipe and make sure you didn’t knock a joint loose when you cleaned it. If you can’t see in there call a sweep to send a camera in there. The pipe should be put together so the creosote runs inside the pipe to go back in the stove to burn not on the outside.

I think we are looking at an unlined clay tile chimney? Is that Black stove pipe shoved into round clay tile with a rope seal? Looks like you are from England? In the U.S. and Canada we don't do it like that anymore clay tile is typically all the way to the top with an insulated stainless liner.

There is probably a ton of creosote sitting on top of that gasket, filling the space between the steel and the clay tiles. That's smelly and dangerous. You can see it running down the pipe.

Put an insulated stainless steel liner in there (break out the clay liner if you have to to make it fit), and you will be pleased with the improved performance, and the wife and the cats will be pleased with the improved smell.

Before installing, you need to clean all the creosote off the old clay liner. Depending on its condition, it may be easier to just break it out even if you don't need the extra room for the new liner.

Please post some photos when you take it apart!

Nobody is gonna mention that wood trim or framing piece so close to the pipe?

I think we are looking at an unlined clay tile chimney? Is that Black stove pipe shoved into round clay tile with a rope seal? Looks like you are from England? In the U.S. and Canada we don't do it like that anymore clay tile is typically all the way to the top with an insulated stainless liner.
Hi John and thanks,
I've checked my house pack and there is a receipt for the chimney being reclined 3 1/2 years ago

There is probably a ton of creosote sitting on top of that gasket, filling the space between the steel and the clay tiles. That's smelly and dangerous. You can see it running down the pipe.

Put an insulated stainless steel liner in there (break out the clay liner if you have to to make it fit), and you will be pleased with the improved performance, and the wife and the cats will be pleased with the improved smell.

Before installing, you need to clean all the creosote off the old clay liner. Depending on its condition, it may be easier to just break it out even if you don't need the extra room for the new liner.

Please post some photos when you take it apart!
Hi and thanks jet Sam,
I'm going to get a heatas company round to have a look as too many people think the chimney is unlined but I have a receipt for it being done,
I'll post an update once I can get some one round it may be a couple of weeks as I'll need to be home and this Saturday I've got a leak to sort out at my mums house

Hi and thanks jet Sam,
I'm going to get a heatas company round to have a look as too many people think the chimney is unlined but I have a receipt for it being done,
I'll post an update once I can get some one round it may be a couple of weeks as I'll need to be home and this Saturday I've got a leak to sort out at my mums house

Well, the black stuff dripping down says that it's unlined or maybe they didn't sweep it before they pulled the liner, and the cap came off?

You can just go up top and have a look (or put a camera up the stove if you have a boroscope/ inspection camera). A cheap one can be had on amazon for probably less than you'd pay someone to look at it.

It's good to have this inspected by a certified sweep. The chimney may be lined, but was it done properly? If there is a liner, is it stainless steel? If this is with a rigid liner, are the pipe joints oriented correctly? When properly installed the sections are oriented so that any creosote inside drips down into the next section.

Hi all,
I got the sweep company that had previously worked on the log burner (previous owner) the chimney is pot lined and has a circumference of 9 inches so my brushes will/are unable to clean ALL the soot out which has now "tared up"
They reccomend power sweeping and chemical and leaving the pot chimney in situe
They would then sweep it when I require at £50 a time
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks mark

I’m assuming pot lined is British for clay lined. So no stainless steel liner.
I think a properly sized insulated stainless steel chimney liner would be a better and safer investment.

Also address clearance to combustibles.