Baffle Boards

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonshine

Sep 19, 2015
Wisconsin
I have an Ironstrike wood insert. It's just a few years old and I'm already on my second set of baffle boards as I've cracked them. The first set I broke and couldn't believe how much it was to replace them. Then I was extra careful and still broke one of my second set.

So two questions...

There's two on my insert. A front and back (no blanket). The back one is fine but the front one is cracked in half. It still stays in though, and fits together (of course due to it being cracked there gotta be a gap). Is this a big deal? Everything I've read says worn baffle boards may affect efficiency, but am a losing a lot having it this way?

Also, is there a place to get a better deal on these? From memory, buying the "kit", which is just both of them, was almost $170 ($20 more than I paid last year) if I get them from Ironstrike. I've seen other brands significantly cheaper (eBay and other sites) but I can't find any for my particular model.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The eBay ones are generally generic pieces that you have to cut to fit. As to the broken one, in the interim you can take it out and press straightened out paper clips halfway in one piece and press it together with the other piece to hold them together.

Reactions: Moonshine
Thanks for the paperclip suggestion! Never thought of that.

Do you think I should be replacing it asap? Or can it be like that for a bit?

How about those ones that need to be cut...is that pretty easy, or would you recommend going with the factor ones?

Easy stuff to cut to fit. Just use a fine blade made for metal. And wear a dust mask. Always a good idea to replace as soon as possible.

And my standard advice for years. Step out the back door and throw that poker as far as you can. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.