Baffle Cleaning (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
I finally got around to inspecting the baffle and cleaning the top part of my firebox. After 2 seasons, here is what I discovered. I also wanted to pull the baffle so I could clean the bottom 3 feet of my liner (interesting bend). First, I had to remove the burn tubes. After that, I had to pull the front baffle support plate. Following this, I had to slide out the top 3 front fire brick. After this, I was able to pull the baffle plate forward and get my hands on the bypass damper assembly and additional firebrick. I can't tell you how many times I had to run to the sink to wash my hands and or turn the shop vac on to clean as I worked. In terms of creosote, I thought what I found was not too much and was "soot" like. Through out this process, I noticed that the baffle plate has a slight "belly" in it and one of the firebrick that sits atop the baffle is cracked in half. I will be contacting Travis industries about this.
IMG_5175.jpg IMG_5177.jpg IMG_5178.jpg IMG_5179.jpg IMG_5180.jpg IMG_5181.jpg IMG_5185.jpg

More pics. In the fourth pic, you can see the cracked firebrick. Pic 5 is top side of baffle...not bad. Pics 7 & 8 is the bypass damper assembly that sits atop the baffle. After all was pulled and cleaned, I ran one three foot section of the "soot eater" to clean my liner at the interesting bend.
IMG_5186.jpg IMG_5187.jpg IMG_5188.jpg IMG_5189.jpg IMG_5190.jpg IMG_5191.jpg IMG_5196.jpg IMG_5197.jpg IMG_5199.jpg

Looks good to me. If it bothers you, new bricks are around $2.50 at the local concrete yard.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.