Baffle question on a 2/3 barrel stove in the workshop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 14, 2019
Upton KY
greetings! I grew up on wood heat, my whole life my family has used a circulating stove and 4 years ago my dad set up a big standalone outdoor furnace/boiler (a purdy/Taylor hybrid made by a local fabricator), we also have a cabin with an old radiant stove. But now that I’ve “grown up” (or so they say) and moved my young family into our own house that the bank lets us live in because I send them money, instead of just loading the stove and cutting wood, it’s now on me to actually set up a heating method.

My question today concerns a simple 2/3 barrel stove I’m setting up in a seperate 24x24 garage that I am converting into my taxidermy studio. I almost have it insulated (r13 walls and drop ceiling with covered with salvage barn lumber and metal, and planning on 2” foam cut into roll up door panels). I’m just using 6” 30g galvanized single wall pipe that runs 48” up out of the stove, 90* angle then 48” out through the wall, braced and 90* elbo back up 72” straight pipe.

My question is about baffles. There is no baffle in my stove, and I know I want to add one right at the bottom of the pipe but when I was rounding up stove parts I ended up with two baffles. These are the simple plate kind that you just twist. I had thought about putting the second one right on the inside before the pipe goes out the wall. Is this a good idea considering I already have the parts ? Or would it not make a lick of difference whether it was there or not ? Or is there a better place to put it (18” or so above the first baffle maybe?)? And finally, is there anything I have overlooked or any potential issues or wisdom anyone would like to contribute ? I’m all ears!

Thanks in advance for the help ,

greetings! I grew up on wood heat, my whole life my family has used a circulating stove and 4 years ago my dad set up a big standalone outdoor furnace/boiler (a purdy/Taylor hybrid made by a local fabricator), we also have a cabin with an old radiant stove. But now that I’ve “grown up” (or so they say) and moved my young family into our own house that the bank lets us live in because I send them money, instead of just loading the stove and cutting wood, it’s now on me to actually set up a heating method.

My question today concerns a simple 2/3 barrel stove I’m setting up in a seperate 24x24 garage that I am converting into my taxidermy studio. I almost have it insulated (r13 walls and drop ceiling with covered with salvage barn lumber and metal, and planning on 2” foam cut into roll up door panels). I’m just using 6” 30g galvanized single wall pipe that runs 48” up out of the stove, 90* angle then 48” out through the wall, braced and 90* elbo back up 72” straight pipe.

My question is about baffles. There is no baffle in my stove, and I know I want to add one right at the bottom of the pipe but when I was rounding up stove parts I ended up with two baffles. These are the simple plate kind that you just twist. I had thought about putting the second one right on the inside before the pipe goes out the wall. Is this a good idea considering I already have the parts ? Or would it not make a lick of difference whether it was there or not ? Or is there a better place to put it (18” or so above the first baffle maybe?)? And finally, is there anything I have overlooked or any potential issues or wisdom anyone would like to contribute ? I’m all ears!

Thanks in advance for the help ,
Ok first you can't use galvanized pipe at all and you need to switch to chimney pipe once you hit the wall. As far as the stove goes I would strongly recommend finding an actual stove to use. Barrels are made of very thin metal that was never meant to contain fire

If your making house payments your paying homeowners insurance normally. May want to check if your garage insurer (guessing the same outfit covering your home?) is ok with you installing a unlisted stove? Doubt it.

bholler's previous post is spot on.

Reactions: SpaceBus
As far as insurance goes, the subject has already been addressed, since the “garage” (which is technically considered a shed, I just call it a garage because it has roll up doors) is detached and more than a certain number of feet away from the house they just added a rider that adds up to about $30 a year. And if I ever want to put a stove in the house it won’t add up to more than about $120...

I don’t think I did a good enough job of explaining my intentions here. In the winter, I don’t need or want to heat this entire 24x24 building to a comfortable living temperature. Taxidermy work, by. Nature is best done in the low 60s anyway. I just need something to warm up my hands now and then and help things thaw out enough to work on. Unlike a home, I will only be inhabiting the space 20-30 hours a week (taxidermy is not my primary job , just a side hustle).
And beyond that I would never even consider spending the type of money for what y’all recommend I “really should” do. My budget for heating this shop was $100. The insulation I used I pulled out of a mobile home that I dismantled for scrap metal. My wall coverings and ceiling are salvage materials from a barn that collapsed because I’m too tight to pay for drywall or osb, if that tells you anything.
I know a lot of people who use barrel stoves in shops and barns and some even in their homes, and have for years. I understand that there are better options out there, but spending that kind of money is just not a realistic option for a poor boy like me. I make do with what I got. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

As far as insurance goes, the subject has already been addressed, since the “garage” (which is technically considered a shed, I just call it a garage because it has roll up doors) is detached and more than a certain number of feet away from the house they just added a rider that adds up to about $30 a year. And if I ever want to put a stove in the house it won’t add up to more than about $120...

I don’t think I did a good enough job of explaining my intentions here. In the winter, I don’t need or want to heat this entire 24x24 building to a comfortable living temperature. Taxidermy work, by. Nature is best done in the low 60s anyway. I just need something to warm up my hands now and then and help things thaw out enough to work on. Unlike a home, I will only be inhabiting the space 20-30 hours a week (taxidermy is not my primary job , just a side hustle).
And beyond that I would never even consider spending the type of money for what y’all recommend I “really should” do. My budget for heating this shop was $100. The insulation I used I pulled out of a mobile home that I dismantled for scrap metal. My wall coverings and ceiling are salvage materials from a barn that collapsed because I’m too tight to pay for drywall or osb, if that tells you anything.
I know a lot of people who use barrel stoves in shops and barns and some even in their homes, and have for years. I understand that there are better options out there, but spending that kind of money is just not a realistic option for a poor boy like me. I make do with what I got. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.
What you are proposing is unsafe no matter how infrequently you plan on using it. And even with an insurance rider they can and likely will deny a claim involving an install that completely ignores code.

You can pretty well figure that to put a safe chimney system it will cost at least $500, depending on the configuration, regardless of stove.