Baker's Choice Wood Cook Stove - Stack temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moose92

Mar 24, 2022
NW PA
Hello, new member here, but I have been reading/learning for quite a few years now.
I recently installed a Baker's Choice Wood Cook stove made by Suppertime Stoves out of Canada. We have really been enjoying this stove, but I do have a question about the stack temps.
Background on the stovepipe/chimney pipe
The stove has a 7" oval outlet. my stove pipe goes from 7" oval to 8" round. Stove pipe is 5' to ceiling support box then it is double wall chimney pipe up another 10' for a total height of 15'. I do not have any issues with this stove drafting.
My question is when the stove is running good with the primary air shut down to maybe 10% open, the single wall stove pipe thermometer will never get up to even 300°. It is normally between 200-250. At this time also there is no visible smoke from the stack. Even when the primary air is all the way open when starting a fire, the pipe thermometer won't go above 250°.
This cookstove replaced a old smoke dragon. The old stove could easily take the single wall stove pipe thermometer up over 500° if not watched.
The cookstove's primary air comes from the top left side of the firebox. The air is pulled in and down through the fire instead of coming in from the front or below. The stove has no secondary air as far as I know. I am just curious if the lower stack temps are from how this stove operates? I do not notice any creosote building up. The wood I am burning is 4 yr old c/s/s white ash. I do not have a moisture meter, but I am 100% sure it is at the proper moisture content.

Thank you all for your time, I really appreciate it.

Sounds like it's running ok. Surface reading on single-wall stovepipe is about 1/2 of the actual flue gas temp inside. So a 250ºF reading is about 500º. The other possibility is that the thermometer is inaccurate. If you have an IR thermometer you could use that to check it.

Reactions: clancey