Bamboo flooring with a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlonk

Jan 7, 2019
Maine
Hello,
I recently bought a house and I am getting ready to replace my floors with bamboo, as it is cheaper and i like the look better, but I have an all nighter wood stove in my living room. Would it still be smart to go with the bamboo flooring or should I try and find some cheap hardwood to put down.
Thanks

Hello,
I recently bought a house and I am getting ready to replace my floors with bamboo, as it is cheaper and i like the look better, but I have an all nighter wood stove in my living room. Would it still be smart to go with the bamboo flooring or should I try and find some cheap hardwood to put down.
Thanks
Bamboo is generally more stable than hardwood. So as long as your health is large enough and has enough r value there should be no problem with it.

Bamboo is generally more stable than hardwood. So as long as your health is large enough and has enough r value there should be no problem with it.
Great thank you! One day down the road I’m going to put some radiant heat under it as well.

The Strand woven Bamboo is the best for most climates and it is the hardest type made. It can be dyed or "carbonized" to make darker colors.
We have it in our show room and it has been flooded 3 time in 15 years and still looks good.
It will work for your intended use.

As a bonus it's also environmentally friendly as it grows so fast and is easily renewable. Wonder how it would burn in the stove ;lol

The Strand woven Bamboo is the best for most climates and it is the hardest type made. It can be dyed or "carbonized" to make darker colors.
We have it in our show room and it has been flooded 3 time in 15 years and still looks good.
It will work for your intended use.
Built a spec house using the carbonized version and its hard as rock. Much more stable than maple or oak

We've had bamboo in our main bedroom and hall since 2003. It has stood up very well. We like so much we just did another bedroom with it. However, it is not necessarily cheap unless one is talking about an engineered laminate. Sometimes however there are good deals. That is how I purchased for both of our installations. Here's what we just installed. It took calling around to several store to find a place that had enough in stock. The quality is good with only about one board rejected per package and that was mostly a visual thing, not physical defect.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Natural-Fl...oo-Solid-Hardwood-Flooring-23-8-sq-ft/3050915