Barefoot pellet bags are falling apart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me having a bad lot ? I got 5 tons the other day and many many bags ripped partly open when we stacked them along the wall. All of a sudden many pellets flying all over the place, so I went looking for the bad bag....its not one bag, its like 20 out of the 250 have partly open seams ...Had to use half a roll of duct tape to tape them close again.

GIven the price of Barefoots I am really dissapointed, whats going on ? Are they cutting costs, have a bad bag amnufacturer ? Have others seen the same this season ?

Thanks

Had a couple loose bags in the ton I bought in March, but nothing like you're describing. It's certainly worth contacting your dealer about.

We've had the same thing with the two tons of Lignetics we bought in March. We check our 'stash' every day to see how many more have split open. Sorry to say, but you may not be finished with the breaking bags - keep checking them!

One thing I (Debbye) have noticed is that Somersets and Greene Teams have a 1/2" crimped seal, whereas the Liggies just have a thin line of a seal (if that makes sense). This is definitely influencing our choice of pellets for the future. The place that delivered the Liggies offered us free delivery for our next purchase (reg. $50 delivery). We passed.... sweeping up pellets and duct taping bags isn't my idea of fun!

sounds like a bad weld on the plastic bags- seen this before with different suppliers in the past...pellet co's usually make good on it, and they most likely DO know about it- I concur with above- give the dealer a call....

Unloaded my secong ton of Barefoot yesterday and did not find any weak bag seals. One did rip, but it was operator error on my part.

Same happened to me on the Vermonts. Could barely grab them without them ripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.